Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water in, now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water in, now what?

Just turned off my well spicket, water is halfway up tile line...we have pebble sheen and my pool guy is coming on Tuesday to help walk us through, but I would like to have y'alls opinions before I have the talk with him so I have informed questions...

It is well water, I did not test it, but when I sent it off to a local university last year it was in normal ranges for everything, nothing spiking anywhere...I am going to go through the pool school but wanted any pointers to what I really MUST be doing this first week...I don't plan to put salt into it until about 30 more days, I had read that the pebble stuff leaches stuff into the water and it takes a while to stabilize the alkalinity or something along those lines??

Thanks for any help!

Tara

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water in, now what?

With pebble sheen you definitely want to follow the builders advice about chemical balance for the first 30 days so you keep your warranty intact.

The PH, TA, and CH levels are all going to be coming up on their own fairly rapidly for the next 30 days as the plaster cures, and more slowly for up to a month. I expect that the builder will add a lot of acid to bring the PH way down at some point soon and after it recovers from that you are going to want to keep a close eye on the PH and keep it below 8.0. The PH increase won't be as dramatic as it would be with a straight plaster pool, but it will still be pretty noticeable.

You will probably want to use trichlor for the first month. Trichlor raises FC and CYA and lowers PH, all of which you want right now. After a month you can add salt and start using a SWG (I am assuming you have one).

Do you have a good test kit?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sadly, I do not even know what the difference b/w a good test or poor test kit would be, but I have neither in any case...can I get a kit here? I would love to support this site that has helped me immensely in my owner/builder route...thanks!!

Tara

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's a link to Test Kits Compared in Pool School.

You can Support this Site by donating and you will also get a $10 discount on a TF-100 Test Kit.

Lots of us have the TF-100 sold by duraleigh. I highly recommend it. Link in my sig.

They not only have fantastic service, but duraleigh (owner of TFTestKits.Net and owner of TFP) is always around here answering questions and helping members.

Your pool is beautiful
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome Tara I watched your pool build on the Garden Web Forum and I know that you are relieved that it is complete. There are a lot of great people here to help you take care of it. Read Pool School at least 3 times so that you can get an understanding how all the chemicals work together
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

You "MUST" go out on the lovely paver deck and stare at it and smile, at least once a day.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com