New liner and new fill

Mar 18, 2008
Garden State
I just had a new liner put in on Friday which means a whole new fill. We had 29,000 gallons trucked in and topped the rest off via garden hose from our well.

Testing today showed essentially no FC, pH of 7.5 and no CYA (may not have let the sample reach room temperature fully though). All I have done so far is to add I 3lbs of CYA to the skimmers in socks (all I had on hand).

My plan was as follows:
- increase pH using soda ash (2 lbs or so) to account for pH drop due to adding CYA
- add 6 96oz bottles of bleach to increase FC to about 8
- re-test CYA at the end of the week to see where I am now and add more accordingly

Is there an advantage / disadvantage to using dichlor to bring up the FC and CYA at the same time? Is it better to stick with stabilizer (any reason to use liquid as opposed to powder) and bleach?

Thank you in advance.

There is an advantage with Dichlor if you already have some on hand and want to use it up - it raises the CYA very quickly. Predissolve it in a bucket of pool water and pour it in front of a return.

If you don't have it on hand already separate CYA and bleach is cheaper.

I would use Baking Soda to raise your TA to 80 -90 - your PH is fine where it is, you may see the PH slightly affected by the Baking Soda addition. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.