AGP to be installed next week - filling it the first time

Apr 16, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Weather permitting, my new AGP will be installed on 5/3. I have both a municipal water supply and well water. My pool is a 30' round holding almost 24K gallons. If I fill it from the municipal water supply, it will add less than $100 to my water bill. My well water is free, minus the cost of running the pump. Does it make any sense to fill from both to speed the process up? I only use the well for watering the flowers, washing the cars, etc. and around here there is little risk of running it dry. It's a brand new pump that barely got used before I switched to municipal water. My pump went before the municipal supply came through our neighborhood. Grrrr :x Or am I potentially adding elements from the well that I might end up struggling to balance out?

On a side note, I ordered the TF100 XL test kit this morning. Went to Wally World and picked up a starter supply of goodies to use the BBB method promoted by so many on this forum. Glad I stumbled upon this forum...such useful information. Thank you all.

Take your well water sample to a pool store and have it tested for metals. Heck, have them test the municipal water too! If there are no metals in your well water then you should be o.k. using it to help fill the pool.

I'll add a little caution here. Sometimes the pool store metals test are not that accurate, depending on what they are using for a test. The store I use regularly tells me that their metal test is really no good below 0.5 ppm. Also, if your well water has metals that are not dissolved, the metal test will not pick it up. A couple extra bucks and a few extra hours to fill out of the city water will not begin to compare with the headache and cost for metal sequesterant if you get metal in your pool.

bk406 said:
A couple extra bucks and a few extra hours to fill out of the city water will not begin to compare with the headache and cost for metal sequesterant if you get metal in your pool.

My thoughts exactly. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.