GPM for backwashing Quad DE 80?

Sep 11, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Is there a minimum/maximum GPM requirement for backwashing a Quad DE 80? It has a 2" slide valve on it and I was thinking of backwashing it for 3 minutes at maybe 30 GPM or so. Any recommendations?

I've looked in the filter manual and couldn't find any mention of it. But I've heard that there's a possibility of blowing out the cartridges when plumbing the Quad DE backwards(output/input are opposite on a Quad DE vs. a regular DE filter). But wouldn't backwashing the filter have the same effect on the cartridges as plumbing it backwards?

That filter is rated for something like 150 GPM, you are not going to damage it by backwashing. A conventional cartridge filter can be damaged by backwashing, or plumbing backwards, but not the kind you have.

I would use a higher GPM, perhaps something around 60 GPM. You want to be sure to wash out as much of the DE as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.