New results from my TF100 kit

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
I ran a bit of a test today. I pulled three separate samples of pool water and brought it to both of my pool stores and my TF kit. It's interesting how much these can vary.

My results (TF-100)

FC - 5
CC - 1
TC - 3
ph - 6.8
T/A - 100
CH - 320
CYA - 90
Temp - 81 degrees

Pinch A Penny # 1

FC - 5
CC - 3
TC - 4
ph - 7.0
T/A - 120
CH - 300
CYA - 95

Pinch A Penny # 2

FC - 4
CC - 3
TC - 3
ph - 6.8
T/A - 100
CH - 320
CYA - 90

So... let's assume the results from my test were most accurate (as I took them several times from the same sample to ensure I was doing it right). What's next for my pool water?

Denis

Your PH is too low. You want to raise PH to at least 7.2 soon. Since your TA is a little high, it is best to raise the PH only to 7.2 or so and then let it drift up on it's own from there, with a longer term target of 7.5 to 7.7.

With CYA around 90 you need to keep FC between 7 and 12. I would aim for the upper end of that range to start with. Hopefully that will take care of your CC level. If the CC level doesn't come down to 0.5 or lower in the next day or two you will need to shock the pool. Longer term you want to get the CYA level down. With CYA at 90 it will be difficult to fight algae, should you get any. CYA tends to drift down slowly, so you could wait, at the risk of problems if you get algae, or you might want to replace some water to get the CYA level down now.

CH is good where it is.

Denis,

I assume you took that TC test with the test block that came out of the blue plastic box....the OTO chlorine test. Use that one to check FC daily but it's not very accurate. use it just to reassure that you have chlorine.

When you perform the FAS/DPD chlorine test, your results will be like this....

FC - 5
CC - 1
TC - 6 (TC will always be the total of FC and CC)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.