A couple winter cover questions.

May 22, 2009
We've only had the pool for two seasons so I don't know if we're doing it right or not. Our pool store closes for us.

1) Is there a way to keep water off the winter cover (snow, rain, etc) or at least minimize it? Or, is it not a problem to be there.

2) Last year, the PS was upset with us because we didn't tell them our cover needed drained before they could open it. Well, we didn't know!! So, they had to set up pump on there and drain it for an hour and then come back to open it. Can we get a pump like that ourselves. They charged us was seemed like a lot do that for us for an hour. Or, should we just go our with several buckets and try to scoop off as much as possible?

No, it's like a huge round tarp type cover that just tightens around the lip of the pool. It's not hard. It's what the owners before us used (but we had to get a new one) and it's what the pool store recommended. It seems to be what everyone around here uses.

Pool stores sell cover pumps - you can also use a submersible pump - it is really handy I bought one two years ago for less than $100 at Home Depot. This year we took off the cover but ran out of time for connecting the filter-it was the following weekend before hubby could get to it. So I used the sub-pump to circulate the water during the week.

We use an air pillow- the water still collects on the cover. Not much you can do to avoid it - we've tried everything. You will save money getting a pump and doing it your self... pretty soon you'll be taking the cover off yourself too. We always do our own open/close it's fairly straightforward - just a little tedious but worth it for the money you can save. :)

Thanks everyone. I do hope to do our own open/close soon. I just get so worried about connected all the hoses and power etc. I replaced a hose myself last year and could NOT get it tightened enough. It kept blowing off. I ended up having to have the pool company come out anyway to tighten for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.