Help with reinstalling Hayward DE filter "belly clamp"??

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
I think its called the belly clamp? Not sure...its the metal ring that attaches to the outside to keep the lid on to the body. There is two washers, a spring, and a nut that you have to tighten to get the ring on nice and tight. Well, I took it all apart last summer when I cleaned out the filter and stored it for the winter. But for the life of me..my dh and I can NOT get that dang thing back together! We get the ring on, and get the bolt part thru the clamp, but can't get it squeezed enough to get the small hole washer-spring-lg hole washer and nut on there to tighten it up! What are we doing wrong? I need to fill the pool back up(its half full) so I can get bleach in it to circulate as there is green algae in it.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 196
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 198
This ain't hard :)

Which model do you have?

Older models have 2 sets of 'spring loaded bolts' - if that's your case, loosen the other bolt assembly :cool:

If you have a single bolt model, make sure the top of the unit is ~ all the way down before trying to tighten the bolt :-D

More help is available if you post pics or can give us a better idea of your situation :goodjob:

I have the same type of filter (EC50) and the nut on mine is a long threaded tube with a hex head on the end that threads inside the spring. I think that may be your problem. Part #6 below.

PerflexEC50_1B2B4-6.jpg

Hmmmm, I checked in my manual and the part it shows on mine is a regular hex nut. I had to find another one in the tool box as the one that came with my filter wasn't in the baggy. And I know I put it in there last summer..so no telling what happened to it. I wonder if that type of nut would fit on mine?

OKay...just went back to my manual and rechecked..your right! it a "sleeve nut". I read that several times today but don't know why it just didn't CLICK in my head. No wonder the little hex nut I'm trying to use isn't working! LOL Dh tightened it with wire to hold it...but guess I need to order a new sleeve nut. Thanks!

Another question too. After we get it up and going again...I'll add 5lbs of DE to it. How often are you supposed to backwash or add DE during a season? I never had to backwash last summer, I would just bump it every now and then and it ran fine all summer. Then in the fall, we drained the filter and all the DE came out then. But I was wondering if I'm supposed to put in new DE or more during the summer? The books don't say.

It all depends on the size of the filter relative to the pool and how much stuff there is in the water that needs to get filtered out. When the filter pressure goes up you bump the filter. When it gets to the point where you need to bump the filter too often, you backwash and add fresh DE. A large filter and a relatively clean pool may never need backwashing, so you might not need to add fresh DE.

julie492 said:
OKay...just went back to my manual and rechecked..your right! it a "sleeve nut". I read that several times today but don't know why it just didn't CLICK in my head. No wonder the little hex nut I'm trying to use isn't working! LOL Dh tightened it with wire to hold it...but guess I need to order a new sleeve nut. Thanks!

Your welcome! The only reason I knew was because I just picked up a pre-owned Hayward EC50AC this past weekend. I have been going through it and the pump before switching out my old 200lb sand filter.

I've got a feeling I'm going to be asking some questions soon, and hope to get some timely advice here too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
julie492 said:
Dh tightened it with wire to hold it...but guess I need to order a new sleeve nut. Thanks!

I would not run the pump with the wire arrangement. Those clamps have to be REALLY tight. That's maybe 15 lbs. pressure per SQUARE INCH, and there is a lot of inches on that cover. When you get the spring on, tighten until the coils touch, and then go around with a rubber mallet and give it a good bang every foot or so. Rinse and repeat until it doesn't loosen up when you bang. A loose filter cover can blow several feet in the air and they are NOT that light. Not to mention it will then pump water out of your pool until it loses prime and then fry the pump. Please get it on right. Good luck.

julie492 said:

My sleeve nut got the threads stripped and the pool supply store said they weren't available anymore. So I just have to make to with regular hex nuts and washers.

It's a pain to get them on, but if you get a rubber mallet and get the band tightly fit around the filter, you'll get enough clearance on the bolt to get the spring, washers and nut in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.