Hayworth Superpump new

Apr 25, 2010
NJ
I can't find an answer anywhere. My Hayworth Superpump was 11yrs old. Myself and an electrician friend replaced the old outdoor switch with a new 2 pole 20amp switch and then a 16 gauge hardwire to pump. I turned on pump and capacitor blew smoke and dyelectric fluid. New capacitor did the same. I bought new $400 hayworth superpump, hooked it up and the capacitor did the same. I'm running a 220 line and have never had a problem. the electrician turned on switch and metered the amps at 5 when more smoke came from capacitor and metered the electricity at pump at 237. The only difference between this yr and any other yr as the new switch and changing from a regular piece of 220 wire from switch to pump, to a 16 gauge wire. I know 14 is recommended now, but two electricians said that the 16 isnt the problem. I might be confusing my 220's and 230's for wiring since im not electricas saavy but the metering was 237. the pump is wiring correctly for 230 and it takes 7.5 amps if this help.

I'm not sure on blowing the capacitor, but 16 gauge wire is way too small for 20 amps at 240 volts! That requires 12 gauge wire for a 20 amp circuit. You sure its wired correctly? If the same electrician that wired it is the same one that told you 16 gauge wire was sufficient, I'd check the motor wiring.

Motor came prewired at 230 and i wired the L1 and L2 pins which is a no brainer there. Another electrician said he would have used 14 gauge but that the wire would burn before the capacitor smoked. I have no clue. Hopefully someone here knows.

16 gauge wire wouldn't have anything to do with the capacitor failure. If 16 gauge wire was the only problem the motor would run but the wire would heat up and smoke and then either melt the insulation, short, or fall apart.

Occasionally you get a bad capacitor, but three in a row is strange. About the only wiring error that will blow capacitors is to use too high a voltage, ie wire a 120v pump to a 240v circuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.