pool filter throwing sand in to pool

Apr 19, 2010
there is sand (about 1/2 gallon )at the bottom of my above ground pool. the sand seems to be coming from the filter as it blows in the water that circulates through the filter and back into the pump.. Can this be fixed or best bet to buy new filter.

Put a stocking or filter sock over the return and make sure it's coming from the filter. Does it come out as long as the filter runs or does it stop after a little while? The most likely problem area is a either a multiport seal issue or a broken lateral. It also can happen after a backwash if you don't rinse long enough but it stops after a few seconds.

I don't know when it comes out. I just got in the pool to clean to start summer. I have been having problems in the past with the filter. I have a waterway filter system. The gasket under the lid (where filter, backwash,etc) has gotten where it is dry rottening ( it can't be replaced I have to order the intire lid part). I'm thinking the filter is messed up because of the gasket under the lid. Can it be that when I turn to filter the gasket gathers under the lid and makes this problem occur?

I don't have a picture of it at this moment but the model number for the filter is 1619122 I'll get pics tomorrow. but I was told by a pool supply store that waterway filters do not have gaskets that are replaced that the whole top has to be replaced I hope there is another route!!

I can believe that you can't replace the part. I found the same problem with many pool products. I worked for a pool and spa store many years ago. We stocked and sold all kinds of parts for skimmers, pumps, filters,ladders,etc. etc. I too have had problems finding parts. I believe the name of the game is why sell a $1.00 oring or gasket when you can sell a $20.00 lid. I use to buy a 50 cent oring for my 1 1/2 inch winterizing plug but now I have to buy the whole plug. I am not sure if this is a difference in the states or what the store want to bother with. I use to live in PA , past 8 yrs been in FL.

My above ground 21 pool has stayed clear all summer. Just recently the bottom of the pool is turn green around the sides and a thin film in the middle of the pool. The algae that is colllecting is easily vacumed, but returns the next day. I checked the clorine level and ph all seems to be on correct level acccording to the on line calculator.
I do not own the water tester that checks all the levels just ph, and chlorine. What can I add to the pool to get rid of the algae?
thanks,

algae on bottom of the pool

My above ground 21 pool has stayed clear all summer. Just recently the bottom of the pool is turn green around the sides and a thin film in the middle of the pool. The algae that is colllecting is easily vacumed, but returns the next day. I checked the clorine level and ph all seems to be on correct level acccording to the on line calculator.
I do not own the water tester that checks all the levels just ph, and chlorine. What can I add to the pool to get rid of the algae?
thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had sand in my pool recently as well. You didn't "see" the sand going in, but you could feel it if you put you hand right in front of the eyeball. Eventually I ended up with a pile of it there. When I opened the filter this spring to replace the sand and check the laterals, the hub for the laterals was cracked. I repaired it and no more sand in the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.