DE Filter question..

Apr 21, 2010
I've got a Hayward 75 DE filter - replaced a cartridge filter a year or two ago. Anyway - is it typical that this should happen?

It seems when I put new DE in that it gets up to max pressure quickly - sometimes a few times in a day I'm required to go out and bump it. Then after two or three times (after 8-12 hours of running it) it "settles in" and will then go a week or more without requiring a bump. Mid-summer when the water is really clear it might go 4 or 5 weeks requiring little to no bumping.

Why does it always seem to need bumped when I change it?

Fresh DE filters better than DE that has been used for a while and bumped several times. Those symptoms can also be caused by adding too much DE, after several bumps the excess stays on the bottom of the filter.

Welcome to TFP!!

Any chance you are battling algae? Algae will quickly congest a DE filter.

In Pool School there's an article in "FURTHER READING" on 'use and care for a DE filter' - that might be of some help to you - if not, just ask us :-D

JasonLion said:
Fresh DE filters better than DE that has been used for a while and bumped several times. Those symptoms can also be caused by adding too much DE, after several bumps the excess stays on the bottom of the filter.

Just read the DE article in Pool School and saw the same thing.

I bet that's it. Going to reload tomorrow and see if that helps.

I'm trying out a skimmer sock now; when I first put it on it was very quickly (hours) getting a thick coating of a gritty, sandy material. Now the coat is less thick and takes longer to accumulate, but regardless, it's Crud that's not even making it to my DE filter, which, I would believe (without evidence) should keep the filter from getting as dirty.

Last night I replaced the DE and used 6 scoops instead of the 7 that is indicated on the directions.

12 hours later and almost no rise in pressure. That said, the pool might be more clean now.

But I think the "use less DE" suggestion is spot on. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.