DE in pool question

Aug 17, 2009
I have gotten DE into my pool a few times and am getting conflicting information and need some advice-

Times DE went into the pool-
a. the two times I have opened my pool pump some DE entered my pool through the returns
b. When the solar installers cut the pipe to install the three way valve a fair amount of DE sunk to the bottom (also through the returns)

All three times the pool builder told me that it was normal as loss of pressure in the system causes some DE to enter the pool

My neighbors went to Leslie's and their repair man told them that the only reason to get DE in the pool is a improperly installed filter or there is damage to the filter i.e. a crack.

Which sounds right to you?

A little of both. When used properly and not damaged, no DE should be getting into the pool. But there are various kinds of things you can do that can get DE into the pool without anything being broken. When you open the pump strainer basket, or cut into the pipes, you want to set the multi-port valve on closed, if you can. That will prevent water flowing out of the filter backwards and bringing some DE along with it. Another one is forgetting to rinse after backwashing, which can get some DE into the pool.

Thanks Jason-

What is the best way to check to see if its the multi port or a bigger problem?

I have not had an issue unless the pressure has been broken. Guess I should shut the multi port- open the pump basket and see what happens- sound Right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.