Hayward pump water pressure question

Apr 10, 2010
I am wondering if my hayward pump is pulling the proper water pressure. I was told that the water should be super faster without any air being visible. I have link a video of my pump in action here. can anyone tell me if this look correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NckyY4_nB3A

also is it normal to see some air bubble when the water is returned to the pool on the two returns? thanks. please see link for picutrs for this also..

http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93 ... %20return/

thanks to all in advance...

The rough water you see in the pump basket means there is air getting in someplace on the suction side. Check the seal around the pump basket lid and make sure the o ring is in place. Check the plumbing around the pump on the suction side and see if there is a leak someplace. The bubbles coming back thru the returns are from the air in the system. Check to see if the skimmer has water in it and it's not sucking in air.

No, it is incorrect. You are sucking air into the sytem somewhere between the skimmers and the pump. Once you stop that air getting sucked in, the pump basket will fill completely and their will be nothing but water visible.

Several common places to look.

1. The lid may be on incorrectly or the gasket between the lid and the pump basket may not be sealed.

2. YOur water level in the pool might be too low allowing air to get sucked in right at the skimmer.

Less likely is a leaky valve, drain plug, etc.....check out 1 and 2 first.

Seems to me that I've had the same if my chlorinator valves weren't tight or were slightly cracked, etc..

I always underestimated just how little air will cause those type of problems. Check that lid - tighten it down good. Put some Jack's on the o-ring.

Did the problem start after you opened the pool and is the filter pressure lower than normal?

If so, a common problem after opening is a plugged impeller. The pump will not have enough power to purge all of the air out of the pump so it can present itself as an air leak. But check to see if it is an air leak first or the skimmer weir is stuck.

The impeller is inside the pump housing and it is what creates the water flow in the pump. Sometimes when opening a pool, a lot of stuff gets vacuumed up and ends up stuck in the impeller. Sometimes you can reach it via the pump basket inlet and pull it out but other times it requires taking the pump apart to reach the impeller.

But check the seals first as that is easier to do.

is it possible that leaves and debris are blocking the 3rd filter on the bottom of the pool? The past owner closed the pool so porly that I have pulle dout 2 garbage pails of leaves thta maybe it is getting poor circulation at the lowest point? I cant see in there since the pool is so green.

If you are talking about the main drain, yes that could be clogged but probably wouldn't cause all of the problems you are seeing. The skimmers usually account for most of the flow rate anyway.

I take it that lubing the seals didn't help? You might try pouring water over the pump lid and valves to see if that helps at all. If not, I still suspect that the pump impeller is clogged.

i haven't magic lubed the o-ring yet. I am awaiting its arrival in the mail. Can I use anything else that might be usable like vaseline? I might take a look inside the impeller to see if anything buildup of debris is present.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't want to use vaseline as that may degrade your seals. However, you can use a product which is usually sold as silicone plumber's grease in hardware stores. It is basically the same stuff as pool lube.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.