HELP with wood deck

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
I have a question for the collective. We are putting a new deck our pool. we will be using green treated AC2 lumber,. Anyway..we are attaching this "new" deck to our "old" deck that is attached to our home.

Anyway..our old deck was PAINTED by the previous owners, not sure what they used..but it's starting to pool off the floor wood, and handrail wood, and looks like garbage. I have tried a number of stippers for latex, and solid color stains, and even pressure washer, and while it took SOME of the peeled up stuff off, nothing takes it all off.

so...what I think I am going to do is just scrape down the rest of the loose paint, replace any rotted boards then reapply a GOOD solid color stain.

Can anyone give me some help/advice on what I need to resurface my deck so it looks nice again and can match my new deck addition.

Dan

To make a VERY LONG STORY short - after applying really ugly latex stain that looks like the contents of a diaper, chemical treatment and a power washer would not remove it. My husband had to remove the various pieces and sand them off with a belt sander....

not sure if it would work...but you can make sure the old deck nails are countersunk and then rent a hardwood floor sander...just make sure to sand with the grain and keep the belt away from nails/screws.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.