Need help choosing new pump

Nov 30, 2007
Benton, Ky,
This pool is around 20 years old and came with the house when I purchased it 3 years ago...

I've always thought this Hayward Super Pump 1.5hp was too big for the pool but due to $$ constraints I couldn't upgrade at the time 3 years ago...

Now, this year, the pump motor sounds like a blender chewing up ice cubes...it's still working but very loud...

So, I'm in a $$ position to change this pump to a more efficient and properly sized pump...

I really like the idea of a 2 speed pump...so that I can filter on low speed and then clean and vaccuum on high speed...

I also would rather run the pump 24/7 instead of dealing with timers and such so a simple setup with an on/off switch and a high/low switch would suit me just fine...my pool is open from April to Sept...

I don't have any water features or a spa so the basics of my setup are in my signature below..

I'm really leaning towards the same Hayward Super Pump in a 2 speed model so that all my plumbing will match up easier...(I have disconnect unions on all my plumbing so I can take my pump indoors in the winter)...

I really want to change the whole unit (not just the motor) because the housing, strainer basket, lid, drain plug ports are all in pretty rough shape and the entire unit would give me peace of mind....

So, to start with, I have 2 questions...

What size 2 speed pump would suit my setup efficiently and sufficiently..

Which has a better strainer basket lid seal design...the Hayward Super Pump or the Super Pump II..?? (The lid seal design of the Super Pump that I have now is the only thing I do not like about this unit because the gasket seems to get bigger every time I open the lid causing the gasket to need changing way too often IMO...)

If there is more info that I need to post, I will do my best to supply it...

Definitely go with a 2-speed pump. If the new Hayward pump matches the current pump you have I'd seriously consider going with that and you wouldn't have to change the plumbing. I don't think you'd go wrong with it.

A Super II will not line up correctly.

Most two speeds require 230V service. All Hayward Super Pump 2 Speed units do as well as Jandy's FloPro.

A Pentair SuperFlo 3/4 HP 2 Speed is the only one I found that will take a 115V line.

If 230V service is there, a 1 HP 2 speed is the lowest appropriate size I found that will line up. All 3 makers, Hayward, Pentair, and Jandy make a pump that will line up.

BTW, the 20" filter is a bit small.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.