Filter Cartridge Cleaning

Jimbolo

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2010
Good Morning Folks, I don't have any questions but would like to share a lesson I learned.

Last week I had a problem with high filter pressure (35) and low flow back to the pool. You all said clean the filter cartridge and both skimmer baskets. I did that with not much luck. So I made another attempt yesterday at troubleshooting the problem. I was going to run the pump for a minute with the filter cart out to make sure that wasn't the problem.

The cartridge LOOKED clean after I sprayed it the first time. But on a much closer inspection I found that deep in the pleats of the cartridge was a TON of dog hair (just bought the house), and just blowing the dirt out of the cartridge with a pressure nozzle from the outside of the cart was not good enough. So I sat down in a chair on the porch with the hose and the cartridge and commenced on a 1 hour, pleat-by-pleat cleaning. Well now my pressure is down to14psi and everything is flowing gangbusters! :-D

So, when troubleshooting flow problems, look DEEP into the cartridge, between the pleats. My pleats were about 3 inches deep. It really did look clean and in good shape, but the truth was deeper inside.

Thank you all so much for helping me work through this. My wife is thrilled that the pool is now clean enough to make her want to get in it.

Jim.

Thanks for that post. I might be having the same problem. Put "clean" filters in the other day and my pressure was at 18. If I remember from last year, I think my clean filter pressure was only around 10 to start with.

When we purchased our new to us home with a pool, we replaced the filter cartridges and cleaned the housing prior to opening the pool. We did not want to run into problems left by the previous owner since we did not know how they cared for the pool. We also know when the cartridges were replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.