Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Cartridge Cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Cartridge Cleaning

Good Morning Folks, I don't have any questions but would like to share a lesson I learned.

Last week I had a problem with high filter pressure (35) and low flow back to the pool. You all said clean the filter cartridge and both skimmer baskets. I did that with not much luck. So I made another attempt yesterday at troubleshooting the problem. I was going to run the pump for a minute with the filter cart out to make sure that wasn't the problem.

The cartridge LOOKED clean after I sprayed it the first time. But on a much closer inspection I found that deep in the pleats of the cartridge was a TON of dog hair (just bought the house), and just blowing the dirt out of the cartridge with a pressure nozzle from the outside of the cart was not good enough. So I sat down in a chair on the porch with the hose and the cartridge and commenced on a 1 hour, pleat-by-pleat cleaning. Well now my pressure is down to14psi and everything is flowing gangbusters!

So, when troubleshooting flow problems, look DEEP into the cartridge, between the pleats. My pleats were about 3 inches deep. It really did look clean and in good shape, but the truth was deeper inside.

Thank you all so much for helping me work through this. My wife is thrilled that the pool is now clean enough to make her want to get in it.

Jim.
    In ground Pool, 13,000 gallons, Cartridge filter (big), Single pump, Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite
    Central Florida
    Miller Lite
    Tony Stewart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Cartridge Cleaning

Great to hear that you figured out the problem. This will be a good thread for other people having the same issues.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for that post. I might be having the same problem. Put "clean" filters in the other day and my pressure was at 18. If I remember from last year, I think my clean filter pressure was only around 10 to start with.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

When we purchased our new to us home with a pool, we replaced the filter cartridges and cleaned the housing prior to opening the pool. We did not want to run into problems left by the previous owner since we did not know how they cared for the pool. We also know when the cartridges were replaced.
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.