What do I have here?

Moving into a home that has been empty for quite a while now, and the pool badly neglected. I would like to confirm what some of the equipment is since I don't have paperwork for it, and it is not all labeled (particularly the filter).

Here is a shot of the whole pool
DSCN0147-1.jpg

What type of filter do I have here? (and brand, if you know it)
DSCN0153.jpg

pump (appears to be only single speed)
DSCN0154.jpg

another view of the equipment
DSCN0155.jpg

Haven't seen a cleaner like this before.... This is what is attached to the hose
DSCN0156.jpg

I guess this is a leaf canister for catching leafs and large debris while suctioning...also attached to the hose
DSCN0157.jpg

This wiring is just the way I found it, with no cover, and it about a foot beyond the pool edge outside the pool at the deep end. I'm really not sure why there would be anywiring like this, maybe has to do with the pool light?
DSCN0158.jpg

Inside of skimmer
DSCN0159.jpg

Anyway, just looking for any feedback and things that you think I might need to know based on what you see.
Thanks!

May be DE. Open it up and see by taking a wrench and undoing the bolt on the retaining strap. Then you can lift the top off and see. It looks very similar to my cartridge filter actually except mine is white and not black.

Nice pump!

Strange looking suction side pool cleaner. I have been hammering Google trying to find it with no luck yet.

That cleaner looks somewhat like my Kreepy Krawly EZ-Vac. There is enough similarity that I'd guess it could be an older model (more than 5 years old) of what I have.

The skirt is different, and the fin on the guard is different, but the ring in the center of the skirt and the guard itself are identical, and the main housing (on top of the skirt) is similar.

They've now come out with a newer model that looks different than mine, too.

The pump looks fairly new, along with the white pipe near the pump. That is my favorite pump.

The filter looks medium aged, probably a DE filter as everyone suspects, perhaps an old Pac-Fab FNS.

The older plumbing looks questionable. Are those metal pipes going into the ground at the equipment pad, or painted PVC? Either way, they don't look as large as they should be, can you measure the diameter?

That is some kind of suction side cleaner of the same general design as a Kreepy Krawly, but I don't recognize that particular brand/model.

You really ought to cover that electrical box as soon as possible. It should never be that close to the pool. It is probably the junction box for the light, but it is supposed to be much further away.

I thought I should go ahead and use this same thread to ask a new question, since it has all the photos in it already. How do I backwash this filter? I took off the top and it does appear that it is a DE filter since it has several (white) grids or filter plates that are in sort of a fan shape.

Do I need to remove those and hit them with my pressure washer? Should I know anything in particular about taking them out?

Last question (for now, at least): how do I know when I need to add more DE, and how will I know how much to add?
Thanks!!

Thanks, that article definitely helps. The only problem is that the filter is not labeled and I don't have a manual (I just bought the home), so I don't know how much DE to use.

Also, in looking at the configuration of my pipes on the filter, how would I need to adjust the valve in order to backwash and rinse?
There is currently no hose hooked up for backwashing (need to buy one), but there is a capped off fitting at the bottom left side of the filter (can't see it in the photo)...is that where I would attach the backwash hose?

Thanks for your input and for the detailed article.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm located in southern california as well and have my lighting Junction box located in the same proximity to the pool on the deep end. The Cover on my junction box says "Anthony Pools", which means that may also be the company who built yours back in the day.

I'm trying to figure out how my plumbing is set up and am curious as to how many holes you have there in your skimmer box? I have one on the very bottom and one that goes through the wall into the pool below the water line. I haven't figured out how the drain at the bottom is plumbed as there are no visible pipes anywhere.......Mine also isn't plumbed to backwash yet as yours appears to be the same.

Uncle Ben said:
Thanks, that article definitely helps. The only problem is that the filter is not labeled and I don't have a manual (I just bought the home), so I don't know how much DE to use.

Also, in looking at the configuration of my pipes on the filter, how would I need to adjust the valve in order to backwash and rinse?
There is currently no hose hooked up for backwashing (need to buy one), but there is a capped off fitting at the bottom left side of the filter (can't see it in the photo)...is that where I would attach the backwash hose?

Thanks for your input and for the detailed article.
While it's apart, measure the filter grids. Then you'll know square feet and that should help figure out how much DE to use.

For backwashing, you pull the handle all the way up and the dirty water goes out the lowest pipe. It shouldn't be capped, unless it leaked, in which case the O-rings inside are probably shot.

Looks like it could be a nice pool.

1. Looks like they may have had solar panals hence the pipes on the wall leading to the filter. ( first pic)
2. Looks like copper going into the cement where it converts to the filter. If it is copper its not sleaved through the cement. I am a plumber and this is where copper always corodes and leaks.
3. How is the plaster? Cement? Gunite? I dont know about this area but looks like it needs a cleaning and inspection for cracks ect...
4. DE is high maintanance in my opinion. Looks old. I would keep the pump and go to sand.

Would like to see how it turns out. Keep the pics coming as you progress.

Good luck

Good eye...I was wondering what those two pipes were for. They just stop right there at the fence and don't go anywhere, so either some equipment was removed, or they never completed it.

The cement, bullnose, and tiles are all really good. The only thing that I can't get cleaned is the top first foot just below the tile line. It seems to be permanently stained brown. A pressure washer would not do it, TSP would not do anything, and even an acid wash on just that portion didn't do anything. We may just have to live with it until we re-plaster some day, or perhaps repaint.

And to clarify what I said about the lower left opening being capped off, it is just a screw-on removable plastic cap, so may just have to be removed to screw on a backwash hose (which I don't have yet)

To answer another question from above, the skimmer just has one hold in the bottom of the skimmer going straight down.
Let me know if I missed any questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.