Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I have here?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do I have here?

Moving into a home that has been empty for quite a while now, and the pool badly neglected. I would like to confirm what some of the equipment is since I don't have paperwork for it, and it is not all labeled (particularly the filter).

Here is a shot of the whole pool

What type of filter do I have here? (and brand, if you know it)

pump (appears to be only single speed)

another view of the equipment

Haven't seen a cleaner like this before.... This is what is attached to the hose

I guess this is a leaf canister for catching leafs and large debris while suctioning...also attached to the hose

This wiring is just the way I found it, with no cover, and it about a foot beyond the pool edge outside the pool at the deep end. I'm really not sure why there would be anywiring like this, maybe has to do with the pool light?

Inside of skimmer

Anyway, just looking for any feedback and things that you think I might need to know based on what you see.
    Thanks!
    12,000 gallon IG (newly re-plastered) pool, Pentair 3/4hp pump, DE filter, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do I have here?

The filter looks like it's a DE filter. There are no stickers or numbers on it anywhere?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

May be DE. Open it up and see by taking a wrench and undoing the bolt on the retaining strap. Then you can lift the top off and see. It looks very similar to my cartridge filter actually except mine is white and not black.

Nice pump!

Strange looking suction side pool cleaner. I have been hammering Google trying to find it with no luck yet.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

That cleaner looks somewhat like my Kreepy Krawly EZ-Vac. There is enough similarity that I'd guess it could be an older model (more than 5 years old) of what I have.

The skirt is different, and the fin on the guard is different, but the ring in the center of the skirt and the guard itself are identical, and the main housing (on top of the skirt) is similar.

They've now come out with a newer model that looks different than mine, too.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

5. Back To Top    #5

I may have figured out the filter type. This is the closest-looking one I can find online, which is a Pentair Quad DE filter. Looks nearly identical, other than the color. No label on mine, or user manual to confirm.

12,000 gallon IG (newly re-plastered) pool, Pentair 3/4hp pump, DE filter, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The pump looks fairly new, along with the white pipe near the pump. That is my favorite pump.

The filter looks medium aged, probably a DE filter as everyone suspects, perhaps an old Pac-Fab FNS.

The older plumbing looks questionable. Are those metal pipes going into the ground at the equipment pad, or painted PVC? Either way, they don't look as large as they should be, can you measure the diameter?

That is some kind of suction side cleaner of the same general design as a Kreepy Krawly, but I don't recognize that particular brand/model.

You really ought to cover that electrical box as soon as possible. It should never be that close to the pool. It is probably the junction box for the light, but it is supposed to be much further away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I thought I should go ahead and use this same thread to ask a new question, since it has all the photos in it already. How do I backwash this filter? I took off the top and it does appear that it is a DE filter since it has several (white) grids or filter plates that are in sort of a fan shape.

Do I need to remove those and hit them with my pressure washer? Should I know anything in particular about taking them out?

Last question (for now, at least): how do I know when I need to add more DE, and how will I know how much to add?
    Thanks!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is an article all about DE filters....hope this helps, if not post back

http://www.troublefreepool.com/use-a...ers-t4086.html
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, that article definitely helps. The only problem is that the filter is not labeled and I don't have a manual (I just bought the home), so I don't know how much DE to use.

Also, in looking at the configuration of my pipes on the filter, how would I need to adjust the valve in order to backwash and rinse?
    There is currently no hose hooked up for backwashing (need to buy one), but there is a capped off fitting at the bottom left side of the filter (can't see it in the photo)...is that where I would attach the backwash hose?

Thanks for your input and for the detailed article.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm not familiar with DE filters- hopefully someone who can help will be along shortly.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm located in southern california as well and have my lighting Junction box located in the same proximity to the pool on the deep end. The Cover on my junction box says "Anthony Pools", which means that may also be the company who built yours back in the day.

I'm trying to figure out how my plumbing is set up and am curious as to how many holes you have there in your skimmer box? I have one on the very bottom and one that goes through the wall into the pool below the water line. I haven't figured out how the drain at the bottom is plumbed as there are no visible pipes anywhere.......Mine also isn't plumbed to backwash yet as yours appears to be the same.
    Anthony 16,000 Gallon Oval, White plaster, 30' Long 15' Wide 5 1/2' Deep end 3 1/2' shallow end.
    Pentair Intelliflo, FNS Plus 60sf. DE, Pentair Intellibrite 5G
    TF100 Testkit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
    Thanks, that article definitely helps. The only problem is that the filter is not labeled and I don't have a manual (I just bought the home), so I don't know how much DE to use.

Also, in looking at the configuration of my pipes on the filter, how would I need to adjust the valve in order to backwash and rinse?
    There is currently no hose hooked up for backwashing (need to buy one), but there is a capped off fitting at the bottom left side of the filter (can't see it in the photo)...is that where I would attach the backwash hose?

Thanks for your input and for the detailed article.
    While it's apart, measure the filter grids. Then you'll know square feet and that should help figure out how much DE to use.

For backwashing, you pull the handle all the way up and the dirty water goes out the lowest pipe. It shouldn't be capped, unless it leaked, in which case the O-rings inside are probably shot.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Is there supposed to be another pipe at the bottom of that black manifold for backwashing? I've got to get a valve to do that as mine is just piped straight pvc right into the filter.
    Anthony 16,000 Gallon Oval, White plaster, 30' Long 15' Wide 5 1/2' Deep end 3 1/2' shallow end.
    Pentair Intelliflo, FNS Plus 60sf. DE, Pentair Intellibrite 5G
    TF100 Testkit

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks like it could be a nice pool.

1. Looks like they may have had solar panals hence the pipes on the wall leading to the filter. ( first pic)
    2. Looks like copper going into the cement where it converts to the filter. If it is copper its not sleaved through the cement. I am a plumber and this is where copper always corodes and leaks.
    3. How is the plaster? Cement? Gunite? I dont know about this area but looks like it needs a cleaning and inspection for cracks ect...
    4. DE is high maintanance in my opinion. Looks old. I would keep the pump and go to sand.

Would like to see how it turns out. Keep the pics coming as you progress.

Good luck
    12X18 AG, 6200 gal
    Hayward S166T sand filter, Switched back to 100 sq ft cart.
    Hayward 1hp power flo matrix two speed pump.
    Been using BBB since pool was new in 2004. Never had any problems.

15. Back To Top    #15

Good eye...I was wondering what those two pipes were for. They just stop right there at the fence and don't go anywhere, so either some equipment was removed, or they never completed it.

The cement, bullnose, and tiles are all really good. The only thing that I can't get cleaned is the top first foot just below the tile line. It seems to be permanently stained brown. A pressure washer would not do it, TSP would not do anything, and even an acid wash on just that portion didn't do anything. We may just have to live with it until we re-plaster some day, or perhaps repaint.

And to clarify what I said about the lower left opening being capped off, it is just a screw-on removable plastic cap, so may just have to be removed to screw on a backwash hose (which I don't have yet)

To answer another question from above, the skimmer just has one hold in the bottom of the skimmer going straight down.
    Let me know if I missed any questions.

16. Back To Top    #16

Try holding a Vitamin C tablet on the brown staining - let us know if that changes it's appearance in anyway.

17. Back To Top    #17

Does the C tablet or the pool surface need to be wet when I hold the tablet there? How long to hold the tablet there?

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, both should be wet. Usually this little test is done underwater, but you can still easily do it with an empty pool. The vitamin C should have a noticeable effect very quickly if it's going to work.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

19. Back To Top    #19

And if it does start to fade or dissolve the brown stains, what could I do next to fully clean it?

20. Back To Top    #20

It means the stains are Iron and an Absorbic Acid treatment should help remove them. Instructions are in Pool School.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast