Opening pool, I think I need a new DE filter

ntshclr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
Hey everyone,

If you haven't seen it, I have a thread going in the Getting Started forum about opening my pool, Converting swamp to pool. To summarize, I have a ~38,000 gallon pool that has been neglected for 3 years. It has tons of debris, a ~20 year old DE filter, and old vinyl liner. I've gotten some help from that thread on getting the pool cleaned up, but I've run into a problem with my filter so I'd like to get a recommendation from the experts here.

When adding DE into the skimmer today I noticed it shooting back into the pool through one of the jets. I opened up the filter and saw several tears in the fabric of the grids. Guy at the pool store said I would probably have to replace the grids or get a new filter, but he said if I wanted to save money I could try sewing the tears and covering them with super glue. I did that, but the DE is still coming back in the pool.

I have a 2hp pump, 1.5" piping with 2 skimmer intakes and 1 main drain, and a 38 sq ft DE filter. I can either get new grids for the filter for $150, or I can get a new filter. So my question, is the 38 sq ft filter big enough for my set-up? If it is, then I will just get the new filter grid. If not, should I get a 48 sq ft or 60 sq ft filter? I tried reading the sticky but I'm a bit confused. I'm thinking that my piping and filter are undersized for the size of the pump and the pool. Any help is very appreciated.

Here's my setup:

Picture441.jpg

You can't have a filter that's too big. I'd recommend getting as big as filter as you can afford. I'd even consider switching to a sand or cartridge filter depending on what you can get the best deal on. If you want to stay with a DE filter then shop around on the internet and find the best deal.

Bama Rambler said:
You can't have a filter that's too big. I'd recommend getting as big as filter as you can afford. I'd even consider switching to a sand or cartridge filter depending on what you can get the best deal on. If you want to stay with a DE filter then shop around on the internet and find the best deal.
I'm not sure why you're suggesting getting a sand or cartridge filter. I thought DE provides the best filtration? Is it because the other filters are cheaper?

It was just a suggestion to look around and seee which fits your budget and situation.

DE does provide filter smaller particles but that doesn't necessarily make it better. It depends on your situation. Since you have a DE you're already familiar with it and it's a good choice. Whichever you choose just get the largest you can.

Since you are considering a new filter - you must take into consideration what you are dealing with (your swamp). I'd get a large sand filter. There are many, many satisfied sand users. Yes, DE offers the "best" filtration - but the maintenance is a pain and considering that you have to clear your swamp - I think Sand would be a better choice, plus you'll spend less.

Sand would be the easiest to clear a swamp with and the easiest to deal with overall. DE is hands down the most difficult to deal with when clearing a swamp. Cartridge filters have excellent filtration that comes very close to approximating the filtering capabilities of DE. I've seen lots of sparkly pools with sand filters though.

Yes, get the biggest filter you can manage.

Thanks for the advice. I opened up my backwash valve this morning and noticed the o-rings in there were messed up. I fixed them and that seems to have stopped the de from coming back into the pool. Hopefully I'll be able to use it for few more months before it finally dies. I'm planning on shocking today now that my filter is working.

Ive had both types and have DE now.

Its hard to beat the convenience of a large sand filter. No recharging and tons of cheap usability.

Yes DE filters better, at the expense of time, and a a fairly low cost consumable product that must be stored handled etc.

Id say if you maintain and religiously keep clean or have cleaner running in your pool at all times the DE filter will only need to be backwashed about twice a year its the better choice in my opinion.

IE: in my mind this is a opening/closing pool differentiator vs open year round pool deal.....

If you have frequent need to backwash for whatever reason- the sand filter becomes the clear economy winner delivering really good filtering with almost zero cost or maintenance for a long time.

In Indiana I prefer a sand filter
In Southern California I prefer DE

Uncle Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.