Pool deck / coping: cut or no cut? Need advice.

DBergeron

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2010
SW Louisiana
I have an in-ground vinyl pool which was installed earlier this month. The pool decking is made of cement with a sprayed on texture which is painted (see pics). The pool installer cut "slits" in the cement around the pool, more than likely to prevent cracks from expanding & contracting cement.

My question is: should the coping be cut too? I am finding that the coping is cracking where the slit was not extended into the cement coping (see pics). I'm trying to get an idea before I speak with my builder. It may be just something I have to live with, but if it was supposed to be done, I want it done!

100_7492.jpg

Please excuse the mud pit in the background. I can't wait until my grass grows back!

100_7497.jpg

My wife did an excellent job in picking out this liner. The colors match perfectly IMO.

100_7503.jpg

100_7506.jpg

100_7505.jpg

100_7504.jpg

No cracking yet.

Thank y'all for your time and assistance!

-Dennis

Re: Pool deck / coping: cut or no cut? Need advise.

Those cuts are to hopefully "guide" the cracking along the cut and looks like it's doing what it's supposed to. I'd call the PB but I'm not sure you need to do anything about what's happening. The only thing you'll accomplish by cutting the coping nose is maybe a little asthetics. then again they'll have to repaint it and that may look worse.

257WbyMag said:
I really don't have any advice for your situation, but your pool is beautiful!
Thanks! It doesn't compare to some of them I've seen on here, but my wife and I are pretty happy. We just need some grass! I'm so tired of sand and dirt!

Bama Rambler said:
Those cuts are to hopefully "guide" the cracking along the cut and looks like it's doing what it's supposed to. I'd call the PB but I'm not sure you need to do anything about what's happening. The only thing you'll accomplish by cutting the coping nose is maybe a little aesthetics. then again they'll have to repaint it and that may look worse.
Thanks for the advice!

Does anyone have any pics of their coping nose having been cut all the way through, so I can compare and decide?

-Dennis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.