Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening pool after coping stone installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening pool after coping stone installation

The masons just finished installing the bull nose coping stones around the pool. There is a fair amount of concrete mortar which has fallen into the pool during the process. My pump & filter is ready to be started but I need some advice. My DE filter was backwashed by the PB during the closing last fall. I was planning on doing a thorough cleaning of the filter prior to opening but am now considering waiting to do that until after I suck up all of the concrete which has fallen into the pool.

My questions:

1. Should I pump to waste during the startup and try to get rid of some of the concrete mess?
    2. Can the concrete damage my DE filter, pump or piping?
    3. Should I add some DE to my filter now and then take it apart for a thorough cleaning after the concrete mess is out of the pool?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening pool after coping stone installation

I would scoop as much of the mortar out of the pool as possible. Pumping sand and mortar through your pump isn't good for it. I recommend vacuuming to waste while cleaning it up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I second the vac to waste.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I started up the pump yesterday with intentions of pumping to waste which ended in failure. My crappy backwash hose split open and flooded the side of my house where my pool equipment is located. Since the entire yard is being landscaped and is mostly dirt, it turned that area into a giant mud puddle. I gave up on pumping to waste and added some DE to the filter. I then ran the ePump at 3000 RPM which is a pretty high flow rate through the filter. There is still a lot of concrete dust in the pool but it appears to be clearing up. I am going to have to brush it towards the main drain. There are also some spots where mortar has solidified and I need to peel it off of the liner. I purchased a leaf skimmer yesterday that has a hard plastic edge which seems to be able to lift up the hardened mortar. I need to do this carefully so I don't damage the liner. After the masonry work is complete, I will open the filter and do a complete cleaning. I'll post some pictures after the masonry work has been completed.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.