2.0 hp or 1.5 pump/ 2 speed or 1 speed

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
I had a 1.5 hp pump for 9 years with a 24' above ground pool and it worked fine. I originally had a 1 speed/ then later a 2 speed. The two speed was nice- but I don't think I ever used the low speed; and I can't remember why-I think I thought it filtered better at high speed. Now I read on the internet that the pool filters better at LOW speed- is that true???

I moved and am purchasing new equipment and everything I read just makes my mind numb.

I want to be energy efficient; but reasonable in up front costs. The pool store says their two speed pumps (2 hp with 12amp high and 4amp low speed)- can cost 1/3 the cost to run if the low speed is chosen. I just don't think the math is that simple on that; that doesn't sound right.

I'm so confused in calculations- I calculated at $.08 a kilowatt; it would cost at least $65 a month to run a 1.5 hp pool pump all month long..... if that's the case, I'm thinking about just scrapping the pool and swimming at the YMCA.

Seriously, can anyone comment any on the best economical choice up front for pool and filter?

Welcome to TFP!

A two speed pump can indeed cost 1/3 as much on low speed, even though you have to run it for twice as long. It isn't always that much less money, the actual savings vary somewhat, but there is always a substantial savings. The larger the pump, the more total electricity it uses, Low speed is just like having a substantially smaller pump when it is running on low speed, and you still have high speed available if you happen to need to for something.

For your pool, with relatively low electric rates, a two speed 1 HP pump would probably be the best choice.

How would running it at the lower speed effect the Polaris? I have a separate booster pump for my Polaris. I don't know how the pool is actually plumped since the Polaris has a light flow of water coming out of it even when it is off and the main pump is on. This tells me of course that the plumping for the two is not separate. It's an Anthony and Sylvan Pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.