Which is a better deal-Liquid Chlorine or Bleach

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Ok I am trying to figure it out but just cant.

Liquid Chlorine-4 Pack (128 oz)=16.46=.03 per oz (approx)

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100186484

Bleach-1 (182 oz)=2.54X4=10.16=.01 per oz (approx)

So from my understanding you use about about 40 less of the 10 percent.

So I took the Liquid Chlorine and it is a total of 512 and the bleach is 728.

Add the extra 40% to the liquid chlorine (204.8) + 512=716.8=.02 per oz

Is my math correct or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks. To me it appears bleach is still the better deal.

Insufficient data.

Without knowing the concentration of each, you can't really compare. Is the bleach 6%, 3%, or even lower? My wife bought some dirt cheap store brand stuff for laundry, it's 2.75%!

The pool chlorine could be 10% or 12.5%

Multiply ounces by percentage to get actual chlorine ounces. Then divide dollars by ounces to get comparison values.

The higher the concentration the more rapidly it degrades.
there was another thread from a year or two ago where price was discussed in detail, I'll see if I can find it.
Pool Store liquid chlorine at higher concentrations vary greatly regionally. I can get 4 bottles of 12.5% for $12.

I find that the easiest calculation to make is the cost of raising your FC some set amount for each media.

For instance, in my pool, comparing 6% bleach to 12% liquid to 73% powdered Cal-Hypo:

1 182 Ounce Jug of 6% bleach at Walmart: $2.54
1 5-gallon carboy of 12% liquid chlorine (price varies for me, but average): $20
1 1lb bag of Cal-Hypo: $3.50

Using the pool calculator, and all other variables remaining the same, I need the following to raise my FC by 1 ppm:

94 oz (by volume) of bleach
or
47 oz (by volume) of 12% liquid chlorine
or
8.3 oz (by weight) of 73% cal-hypo

Remember to keep those units uniform - bleach is sold by volume and Cal-Hypo is sold by weight!

Now the calculation is fairly simple to find out the percentanges:
( Required Measurement / Total Purchased Measurement ) * unit price = Price per PPM.

so for each:

bleach: (94 oz / 182 oz) * $2.54 = ~$1.31

12% liquid: (47 oz / 640 oz) * $20.00 = ~$1.46

cal-hypo: (8.3 oz / 16 oz) * $3.50 = ~$1.82

So for me, bleach is cheaper than either liquid chlorine or Calcium Hypochlorite unless I also need to raise my calcium hardness, in which case another cost factor is introduced.

Also, you can weight (but probably not quantify reliably) the fact that when you buy 12% at the store, it may have degraded and may be only 10% or even less. For me personally, I'd need to see the price of the carboy drop to about $17 before it's worth it for me, and only then if I need it that day, because it will certainly degrade if I buy it just to keep it on hand.

Does this help you?

I get a 20% off on my liquid chlorine each spring from my local PB. I buy enough to shock in the spring and then enough to last about another month without losing out on the % of concentration in the bleach.

Plus they usually deliver it for me when they are passing through town as the main business is 100 miles away so not only do I get a good deal, but delivered right to my door is pretty hard to beat. Gives me a chance to visit with them as well and ask them a few questions on various topics. All mechanical questions. I dont need any advice any longer on the chems and that is all thanks to BBB and this website!

Wow, $20 for 5 gls of 12%. My pool store sells (2.5 gals @ $4.50) 5 gals of 10% for $9 also once in a while it is buy 2 get 1 free so i usually pay $9 for 7.5 gals of 10%, I'm not sure if it is 10% or 12% but using the lower concetrate is still cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.