sand!!!!!

Are you noticing problems with your filter such as poor water clarity or high filter pressures despite backwashing? Or, are you just wondering if it is time to change it?

Some folks change their sand every five to seven years and then, some folks never change their sand. I don't know of any official time-out length for sand.

If you are having problems with your sand filter not doing it's job despite regular backwashing and you know that your water balance in check, there are some things that you can try. You can open your filter and check the sand bed for channeling by following the directions posted in this thread...

my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

You can also try adding some DE to your sand filter as this has been reported to increase the efficiency of the sand filter in capturing the snaller particles that normally pass right through the sand bed. Here's a sticky on how to add DE to you sand filter...

pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

Of course, if you want to, you can go ahead and replace the sand entirely. It's a messy job though and you must be very careful not to damage the laterals inside the sand filter during the process, lest you end up with a more expensive maintenance item to deal with than you originally bargained for.

Hope this helps. Others may be along to add some other ideas.

The sand in most peoples filters is thousands if not millions of years old. Give it a good clean/soak with chlorine and try air scrubbing it on back wash using a shop vac on blow. It will really lift the sand and it will seem to boil but boy does it clean the sand up.

You could buy an acid clean wash from a pool store but never use this at the same time as the strong chlorine its dangerous.

The sand in your filter is like a rock in a moving river. Over time the pointy edges become rounded from the constant water flowing over it. The more rounded the edges get, then less it filters out the tiny particles.

my personal opinion is every 3-5 seasons. 3 for those who run the filters non stop and 5 for those who run the filter 8-10hrs daily.

Thats just my opinion though...

Heckpools said:
The sand in your filter is like a rock in a moving river. Over time the pointy edges become rounded from the constant water flowing over it. The more rounded the edges get, then less it filters out the tiny particles.

my personal opinion is every 3-5 seasons. 3 for those who run the filters non stop and 5 for those who run the filter 8-10hrs daily.

Thats just my opinion though...
Yep, I believed that too, until I saw an electron microscope picture of freshly cleaned 10 year old sand from a commercial filter that had just as many points as the fresh sample next to it. It can become rounder and smoother with alginate biofilm build up but that was removed in the commercial washing process (acid clean and air scour plus wash with a cleaner)
So save your money!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kplaster said:
How often should this be changed ,4th summer of use!!!!

Give it about 30 more years :0)

Some say 4 years, some say never.. I say never unless you are running into trouble which is very unlikely the sand's problem.

I usually change the sand when the filter has a major breakdown and needs to be replaced itself.

kplaster said:
If it ain't broke don't mess with it...I haven't had any problems just was wondering if I should do it..Thank's for all the advice!!!
I don't quite agree with that, it does become sticky and pebble into balls which allows channels to develop. So a good clean is necessary from time to time but changing it, waste of money unless there is a problem (calcium biuld up etc) or you are changing for something possibly better like Drydens AFM which I am experimenting with.
http://www.afm.eu/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.