24'x52" vinyl levels???

Does any one have the same type of pool as I do? If so what are the levels I should shoot for..
I get sun from sun up to sun down here in New Jersey. I want to start using bleach and the pool is brand new. As of today my readings are such:

Free Chlorine- 4.2
Total Chlorine-4.6
PH-7.9
Hardness-180
Alkalinity(w/stabilizer correction)-147
CYA-10

Thank you

Ken

I just installed the same size AGP about three weeks ago. I have found great information on this forum and you will too. I am a newbie too but can tell you that you need to read the pool school and check out the pool calculator which will tell you the levels you need.

Welcome to the TFP! :wave:

My levels today were

FC 4
TC 4
PH 7.8
TA 80
CYA 50

Pool temp was 67

Almost perfect!

If you check out the Pool School link towards the top-right, it recommends the following levels for vinyl pools w/o a Salt Water Generator:

FC 3-7
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 50-300
CYA 30-50

I would recommend you consult with the Pool Calculator quantities for the following:
- Most importantly, you need to raise your CYA (Stabilizer).
- Try to keep you pH around 7.5-7.6 by adding Muriatic acid.
- Bring your Total Alkalinity down. Go to this link and follow the directions by adding Muriatic acid to bring your pH down to 7.0-7.2 and aerating.
- You're getting close to having to shock; since, your Combined chlorine levels are getting close to 0.5 ppm (Total Chlorine minus Free Chlorine = Combined Chlorine or used chlorine). You need to free up that chlorine so it can do its job of sanitizing.

I'm running a vinyl pool; however, mine is not quite as big. I have done quite a bit of reading on this website which gave me a great understanding of what's going on. Makes you feel bad about your friends who have pools and just blindly add chemicals to their pool. I use the BBB Method which you can find on here, and I have since added salt (2100 ppm) and borax (50 ppm) to improve the feeling and clarity of my pool.

HTH!

-Dennis

Kenerator,

You've gotten great advice about Pool School and the Pool Calculator.

The levels that Dennis gave you are from Pool School under Recommended Levels. :goodjob:

Suggestions:

First, lower your pH to about 7.5-ish

Second, increase your CYA to about 50

Third, after you increase your CYA, adjust your maintenance level FC (see Chlorine/CYA chart in my sig)

Fourth, just forget about the TA for now. If it becomes a problem in the future causing rising pH, it can then be adjusted.

This is going to be easier than you may think :wink: Post back with any questions and someone will be around to help.

The best thing about pool calc...is if you scroll down to the set your goals section...It lets you pick your sanitizing method, pool type ( vinyl or fiberglass or whatever) and the type of sanitizer you are using. Plug all that in and it sets your ranges for you...Then you can put your current measurments in, and then set your desired goal...and the pool calc does the rest. It is just that simple.

Butterfly said:
Kenerator,

You've gotten great advice about Pool School and the Pool Calculator.

The levels that Dennis gave you are from Pool School under Recommended Levels. :goodjob:

Suggestions:

First, lower your pH to about 7.5-ish

Second, increase your CYA to about 50

Third, after you increase your CYA, adjust your maintenance level FC (see Chlorine/CYA chart in my sig)

Fourth, just forget about the TA for now. If it becomes a problem in the future causing rising pH, it can then be adjusted.

This is going to be easier than you may think :wink: Post back with any questions and someone will be around to help.
This tells you everything you need to know :goodjob:

DBergeron said:
You're getting close to having to shock; since, your Combined chlorine levels are getting close to 0.5 ppm

You don't need to shock - only if the CC goes higher than .5 is it an issue. keeping the pool uncovered helps destroy CCs via sunlight, keeping the FC a point or 2 above normal may help as well.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.