Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to rebuild pump. Advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to rebuild pump. Advice?

Well, long story short, my spa pump, a Sta-Rite dura-glas 1.5HP, has started leaking from around the seal where the pump housing splits in half under the band clamp. I've purchased the seal kit with the mechanical seal and the o-rings. It all looks pretty strightforeward. Can you rebuild these things in place, or do you need to remove the plumbing from the pump? The way the pump is plumbed in, it seems to look like a big pain to get it out BTW, the pump still works fine, and it only leaks when it's off, and when you start it, a bunch of water shoots out.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to rebuild pump. Advice?

Looking at a picture, it appears the pump/front half is one piece. and the inlet and outlet are part of it. IF you can remove the clamp and the motor from the mounting base and leave the pump, you should be ok. However, if you have unions in the plumbing to disconnect the pump, I would recommend taking the whole unit out so the repair is easier to perform. If you do not have unions, this may be a good time to install them. Making repairs on pumps while they are installed is no fun no matter how easy they are to get to. Oh yeah. remember to shut the power off at the breaker and take note of electrical connections.
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.

3. Back To Top    #3

I prefer to change seals and orings in place. It makes the repair so much quicker. I do not like to replumb pumps.

4. Back To Top    #4

It does look easy enough to do the repairs with the pump in place. It looks like there is enough room in the pumphouse for me to sqeeze in between the pump and the filter to do the work. On the return side of the pump, there is a union on the pipe, but on the suction side, there is no union untill you get to the suction valve, which is about 3 or 4 feet away Maybe I'll put one in since I'll be working in there anyways, not to mention adding a check valve so the spa doesn't drain into the pool every time I shut off the pump and forget to close the valve
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html