WhisperFlo WFDS-6 shutting off on high

Mar 27, 2010
I found this problem this morning while working on another thread issue. I wanted to start a separate thread to keep things simple and maybe find an answer.

The pump motor is overheating and shutting off, cooling down, restarting, :blah: :blah: :blah:

I took the pump apart to see if there was a blockage. There was nothing inside causing the problem, and the shaft turned freely, so cleaned everything and put it back together. I lubed all the moving parts and o-rings so everything should be OK on the pump side. The pump still overheats on high speed; but now it will not start up on low speed. I wonder if I lubed something I shouldn't have?

So this tells me it is a problem with the motor itself. Leslie's can look at it with free labor. My other pool tech can come out for $49; but not until Tuesday or Wednesday. I finally got the pool clean and clear so I do not want to wait that long.

What are some possible fixes for the problem? Are there contacts or switches in the motor that should be relaced?

UPDATE:

I took it all apart again to remove the lube from the moving parts. The parts were dry the first time I looked at them so I don't know why I thought they should be lubed.

Anyway, while I had it all apart, I turned the motor on high with no load. It overheated...........again.

So the motor is clearly shot. Is there something repairable inside or am I looking at a whole new motor?

Please verify proper motor size:

Now that I have to get a new motor I should make sure I get the proper size for my set-up.

My pool is a 19,000 gallon, in ground, plaster pool. It is surrounded by 8 cypress trees, 2 palm trees, an oleander, and various shrubs so there is always leaves, needles, and debris. I got the largest sand filter available to handle the mess because I was tired of cleaning the filters everyweek.

I have the tagelus 100D filter with a 2" suction from the skimmer and main drain, a 1 1/5" suction from the sweeper, and a 2" return to 2 eyeballs. The equipment sits about 20 feet away so the suction lines are about 30' long and the return gets to about 55' at the last eyeball.

I have digital controls with two timers. The main timer turns on the high-speed side of the pump motor. The second timer cuts the motor to low speed. The power supply is (2) 120v on the high side; and (1) 120v on the low side. This is fed from a 40a breaker at the meter panel. there is an additional 40a breaker in the control panel

I had a whisperflo wfds-6 dual speed pump unit. This is a 1.5 hp 3450/1725 motor. I don't know how knowledgable the salesman was; and he may have let me buy an oversized motor.

Is this the right motor for my pool? Would a 1 hp dual speed be more efficient/economical?

I want to buy the motor today so I don't lose the pool again.

Sorry to monopolize the conversation................

I bought a WhisperFlo 3/4 hp 3450 6amp motor that will bolt up to my pump. It will run right in the middle of my old 10amp high speed and 3.5amp low speed.

You don't want to use a motor smaller than what the impeller was designed to take. Larger is alright. The WFDS-6 is a 1.5 HP full rated pump. If the WFDS-6 is what you started with, and you want to use a 3/4 HP motor with the pump from the WFDS-6, you will need to also change the impeller.

A dual speed motor is more energy efficient on low speed than a much smaller single speed motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.