New above ground, still filling with water, have no clue

Apr 23, 2010
Hello
I am in the process of filling my above ground pool. We are new pool owners and have no clue. I have tested the pH of the water. It is between 7 and 8. It was a paper test that I obtained from work. The water is still running, and it is getting hot in Texas already. I was afraid that algae would build up as we actually emptied the pool due to really bad algae. We scrubbed it and decided to start completely fresh. Should I go ahead and add chlorine? I have a large bottle of bleach and feel as though i need to at least put something in now....I really fear algae!

We have a 10000 gallon with sand filter and vinyl liner.

Any input would really be appreciated.

Also, we are looking for a test kit that the previous owners might have left, but will definitely get one by this weekend.

Welcome to TFP fellow Texan!

Yep, keep filling that thing up. As soon as you have it full (at the halfway point on your skimmer opening), start your pump and circulate the water.

You need something to chlorinate. We like straight up, plain old bleach for that. You will also need some CYA, sold as stabilizer at the pool stores and some big box stores. You will want enough bleach in there to get you to about 3 ppm and enough CYA to get you to around 30 ppm to start. CYA is important because it keeps you from losing so much of your chlorine to sunlight. So, by plugging the numbers in the pool calculator, it should take you about 62 oz. of bleach to get your FC to 3 and about 40 oz. of CYA to put your CYA level at 30.

Now is the time to get you a good test kit. This is the most important tool in your arsenal when it comes to taking care of a pool. The TF-100 is top notch (link in my sig). Test strips are rarely accurate except in certain circumstances. While you are without a test kit, you can use a pool store to test your water for you. They shouldn't charge for this.

Have you started reading Pool School yet? You should do so to get familiar with the various chemicals, tests, and practices for caring for your pool.

So, fill it up, get some bleach and some CYA in there, let it circulate, and then, if you haven't gotten your test kit by then, run a sample at the pool store and post the test results here. We will get you on the right track from there. :goodjob:

By the way, it's good to post your vital statistics about your pool in a signature line on your profile. That way, whenever you make a post, we know what type of pool and equipment you have and just how big your pool is, and you won't have to type it out every time. Please limit the signature line to five lines please :-D .

--------

A note about CYA...It dissolves very slowly and therefore, we don't recommend that you pour it into the pool as is since it will sit on the pool floor and could cause problems with your liner. A good way to add it is to put it in a sock (I use a knee high pantyhose) and hang it in front of a return jet. Works well that way. Also, because it is slow to dissolve, we usually wait about a week before we retest the CYA level.

For right now the most important thing, once the pool is full and then pump is running, is to add 2 ppm of chlorine, that is five cups of 6% bleach, to the pool each evening after sunset and then run the pump for at least 30 minutes to help mix it in. The day after you add CYA you can switch to aiming for an appropriate FC level, which you will hopefully be able to measure by then.

First of all let me say THANKYOU!

I am sooo stressed out about this, I just want it to be as simple as possible.

The level is almost to the skimmer. We will add the chlorine as instructed. Again, thankyou so much for the numbers. I tried my luck a little with the pool calculator just to get used to it. I am hoping pool ownership will be a great experience!

One question...if I have the chlorine tonight and no CYA, should I wait until I have both, or just go ahead and add the chlorine, then CYA tomorrow, which is when i am expecting a run to the supply store. And it is fixing to storm here and am worried that the rain will affect everything that I do.

Thanks so much again and I look forward to replies!

Take care!

jwilkes said:
I am sooo stressed out about this, I just want it to be as simple as possible.

Don't stress! Folks here will help you and it will soon seem simple :-D

One question...if I have the chlorine tonight and no CYA, should I wait until I have both, or just go ahead and add the chlorine, then CYA tomorrow, which is when i am expecting a run to the supply store.

Add the chlorine tonight and the CYA tomorrow. If you are unsure how much CYA to add or how , post back and someone will help you.

And it is fixing to storm here and am worried that the rain will affect everything that I do.

Don't worry about the rain. It has little effect.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I just bought a bottle of CYA and it is only 2 oz. Is this concentrated? Do i dilute it? My concern is Leslie's Pool employee said that the bottle was enough for a 10000 gallon pool.... confused. It was 9 bucks and I don't want to have to buy 20 of these. It says cyanuric acid reagent.
Slow, slow start to pool care. Just vacuumed the pool, and added chlorine, but am concerned about the CYA.

The pool is clear, as I have added chlorine twice. I misread and put in the bleach once a week instead once a day, hmmm. Not very good at this but hope it will get easier.

As FPM said, that's testing reagent they sold you. You can keep it to test with or take it back. You can buy 8oz of R0013 (cyanuric acid reagent) at Tftestkits.net for $7.50 + shipping.

Wally-World or HD or Lowes all carry cyanuric acid. Get as close to 100% as you can find.

CYA is also known as stabilizer/conditioner...you can find it at most places that stock pool supplies. Wally world carries the HTH brand which is fine...runs around $14-$16 for a 4lb container. Active ingredient should be 96% or more of cyanuric acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The HTH brand at WalMart does not have cyanuric acid listed as the ingredient. I can't remember what it is but I know that it wasn't cyanuric acid. I know this because I checked EVERY product for cyanuric acid and then got really frustrated because none contained it. I am going to HD to look for it. Does it have to be cyanuric acid to be a stabilizer or conditioner, or can I buy the stabilizer without cya, but with a different ingredient?
Just want to know what my options are. And many BIG THANKYOUs to all who have helped. I was in such a bad mood last night because of the pool and my husband could only laugh at me!
Also, i vacuumed the pool, and then an hour later had more stuff settle. The stuff looks like dirt/sand. I also got frustrated after the settling because I was so proud of how the pool looked immediately after vacuuming....I feel as though I am being laughed at by the big man upstairs sometimes....
Also, having water tested today at the pool store. I will post my results asap....G'day!

I just bought a container of stabilizer at WalMart a couple of weeks ago and it stated on the label, 100% cyanuric acid. I always look because I won't buy anything with less than 100%. Granted it's in very small print in an odd place but it's there.

Don't buy stabilizer or conditioner that states anything besides cyanuric acid. A lot of people buy 96% and that's ok but I know I can get 100% so that's what I get.

P.S. The jug won't say CYA anywhere on it. It only states cyanuric acid.

Home now and looking at the pool in full sun...it looks as though the sediment at the bottom could be algae! ARRGGG!

Will vacuum again this evening and treat. It is 93 degrees here and all we want to do is get in a swim!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.