New above ground, still filling with water, have no clue

The only kit i have is a ph and chlorine, bromine test with OTO and phenol red...I am taking my water to Leslies to have it tested, return the CYA reagent, then going to walmart to get the CYA and a 6way test kit...

I am positive i don't have enough chlorine in it right now. Should i go ahead and put some in or wait till evening. The sun is extreme. I can't get everything for a few more hours as my daughter is sick, and I am waiting on my husband...

jwilkes said:
The only kit i have is a ph and chlorine, bromine test with OTO and phenol red...I am taking my water to Leslies to have it tested, return the CYA reagent, then going to walmart to get the CYA and a 6way test kit...

The 6 way test kit won't test FC/CC it only tests TC and that only goes up to 5. The FAS DPD test tests FC/CC up to 50 ppm which is necessary when shocking the pool. The CYA test in the 6-way only has enough reagent for 2 tests, not useful at all. The kit won't help you, believe me.

I would save the $20 and put it towards one of the recommended kits. Trust me. I struggled my first summer with BBB trying to get by with my 6-way. Once I had the TF100 I finally understood what all the fuss was about.

Since you already have the OTO/PH test you can use the TF50 which is cheaper, it only has enough CYA reagent for 3 tests but since you already have the 2 oz from Leslie's you'd be good to go (if you haven't returned it yet...)

The TF 50 is only $45 and such a value compared to what you get for $20 on the 6-way.

Investing in a good kit is the best way to protect your investment (your pool.)

And the TF 50 is only sold at pool stores, like Leslie's? Thank you for that, too!

Just put in 2L of chlorine. I KNOW for sure that i had hardly in any there. I am waiting 30 min or so to get a sample.

No...the TF-50 is only sold thru TFtestkits.net.

Leslie's sells the Taylor K-2006, but often the stores don't stock it they only stock the K-2005 which doesn't contain the FAS-DPD test.

Read this article - it compares the TF100 and the K2006: Test Kit Comparison

We recommend purchasing the kits online for this reason - so you don't end up with a lesser kit.

I will purchase it, now. I just wanted to say thanks again for all of the quick responses.
Since i will have to wait on a kit, do you know if leslies tests for FC? I don't know what it entails. I want to be prepared when i get there and really sound like i know what i am doing :)

Typically the Leslie's stores test with the DPD test, which only goes up to 5. It does tell you FC though, but not really helpful in the shock process.
But at least you'll have a number.

With your OTO test, you can try a shot glass method... take 3 parts distilled or chlorine free water, and one part pool water. Mix, and use that for your OTO chlorine test sample. Pour it in the comparator tube and add the yellow OTO drops. Then record the result, and multiply it by 4. This will test TC up to 20. You can do the same thing - mix together a 3:1 ratio and take that to Leslie's they'll tell your FC level up to 20 (they won't know you diluted the sample).

Multiply their results by 4 and it will tell you your FC (and CC if they note any). You do lose some accuracy this way, but at least you'll be in the ball park.

Just don't let them talk you into buying anything. Just say "I have that at home" or "I need to discuss it with my husband" and then leave. :)

dmanb2b said:
here is an example of what the product label may look like

http://www.poolgeek.com/HTH-Stabilizer-Conditioner-P4000.aspx

I purchased two more jugs of HTH sta/cond at Wally's last week and had a friend (whose pool I'm converting to BBB, over there last night working late) purchase two jugs also, in past few days. At my Wally's and hers all of the newly stocked HTH products now have purple tops.

I like the HTH sta/conditioner the very best because it dissolves out of stocking the absolute fastest of any I've used. Actually it breaks down into a fine powder and disperses into the water the fastest. It might take longer for it to really dissolve but I suspect it's pretty fast. I've emptied a whole stocking loaded with 2 lbs in a few hours (2-3) by massaging the bag a few times during that time, as long as it is hanging in front of a return.

At my Wally's the HTH sta/cond was crammed in with the calcium chloride, (to raise calcium hardness levels) on top shelf, and the jugs look exactly alike. The HTH has a numbering system along the bottom part of label. HTH sta/con will have the "1" highlighted. There are other HTH products that are "1" also so be sure it is "cyanuric acid" and in the 4 lb jug.

BTW... my friend's pool guy commented to her that the liquid chlorine was going to get expensive. I asked her how much her huge bucket (at least 50 lbs) cost. It was $129 or maybe $167 and purchased less than two months ago. It is almost gone. I asked her how much the Wally's 6% store brand chlorine cost. I had her get 6 jugs a few days ago. I then told her she would be using a few jugs of bleach every month once we got the stabilizer in there. I then asked her, at the rate the cal chlor is being used (and she needs no higher CH than it has now) and with the Texas sun and heat just kicking in eating all her chlorine in a day, how many more will she have to purchase this summer and fall. MANY :shock: at $129-$167 a pop. Her CYA was 0% as of last night. So I'm adding 8 lbs (12-14 K play pool) and will add more after we test in a few days. How much was that a jug? $14.99 X 2 = ~$30.

So she asked me how long the CYA would last. Easy answer..... for a very long time with possible tiny additions over summer to add some after backwashing.

She did the numbers, in her head, very quickly. :idea: :idea:

I then told her that as long as we did her pool the BBB method she would save so much money and never, ever see algae again.

BTW..... She hasn't had time to start studying Pool School yet.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.