Bought my new pump! Need hoses.

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
I bought a Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP pump. The sand filter is on the pad, but nothing is connected to the pool.

The skimmer suction line is PVC from the skimmer at the far end of the pool down to the cement pad where the pump and filter go. The cement pad is right next to the return port on the pool itself.

I can't find the hoses that the previous owners used, so I'll have to get new ones.

Do I use hose? or PVC pipes?

I have some pics:
The suction is a 2" pipe
PIC_0179.jpg

The return is 1 1/2"
PIC_0181.jpg

The suction from the skimmer opens to a bigger joint
PIC_0254.jpg

The filter
PIC_0255.jpg

The whole setup (without the pump)
PIC_0265.jpg

If you do go with flex hose, double clamp all the fittings.

Also, that pipe is really 1-1/2". 1-1/2" pipe is 1.9" outside diameter and 1.59" inside diameter. I'f you'll look on the side of some of those fittings the size will be molded on there.

That's half of a union type valve. The pipe itself is 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC. That's what I'd recommend for the whole works. You can get parts and fittings at most any Home Depot, Lowe's etc., even on Sunday to fix problems. And use plenty of unions so you can take it apart.

Looks like maybe they have it set up so you can take a plug out of the skimmer pipe to drain the pool down for winter and to keep the water level down while it's closed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.