Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: which salt should I use?

1. Back To Top    #1

which salt should I use?

I am going to go ahead and get my salt added to my pool. So last night I went to my local "DIY BOX STORE" and they had an entire shelf full of various salts for softeners and such. some pellet, some coarse, nothing fine, like actual pool salt comes as.

anyway, I narrowed it down to 2...one is the cargill 99.9% pure solar salt in the blue 50 pound bags..they are $5.89 a piece. OR.....they have this white bag, not sure who makes it..but it said coarse rock salt - 98.9% pure..this comes in 80 pound bags for $7.00 a bag.

What should I go with? the larger bag, or the smaller, higher purity salt?

Thanks for any info.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: which salt should I use?

I use the cheapest 99.9% pure 'solar' salt that I can find - pellets or coarse - they both dissolve just fine. Don't buy anything with additives for rust, etc.
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

3. Back To Top    #3

yea...I know about the rust inhibitor, and won't use that..but just wondering what difference there is between 98.9% and 99.9% purity.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

4. Back To Top    #4

1%

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    15,000 Gallon IG 15x30 fiberglass
    CoverStar auto safety cover
    SWG Aqua PL-PLUS
    Cartridge Filter
    240,000 LXI Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

It is generally not suggested that you purchase anything less than 99.4% salt for use in your pool. It is a quality control issue more or less. This is because there is really no way of knowing what that other 1% may be and it could be something that you may not want in your pool such as metals or other contaminants.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

MNB.... I KNEW someone was going to do that!

257wbymag.....thanks...I'll just go with the 99.9% one then.