Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GPM and FILTER size

1. Back To Top    #1

GPM and FILTER size

I am trying to figure out my GPM for my older inground spa. I cant seem to find a specific formula for spas only pools with a min. Of 10,000 gallons. What turnover time do i divide my gallons by? I have a 690 gallon inground spa, 4 jets,1hp whisperflo, 1 skimmer, 1 drain, 1.5" piping, 3 90 deg. elbows and 4 on tbe return side. The heater is a 150k btu minimax and the skimmer is 22' away from pump. I am trying to get my gpm to be able to select approiate filter (cartridge).
    17k (430 Sq Ft) Salt Water In Ground Pool, 3.5'-7' depth, MDX2 Infloor system, Grotto/Tile Slide/Rock Waterfall Features, Wet-Edge Chilean Beach Tahoe Pebble surface, Intellichlor IC40, Easytouch Control w/remote, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo VS-3050 Variable Speed Pump, 2 x intellibrite LED Color Lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GPM and FILTER size

Rough guess, 65 GPM, give or take 10. The 1.5" plumbing is the biggest head loss generator.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: GPM and FILTER size

Here is a link to the pump curves for your pump. It's hard to tell where the flow is on the curve unless there is a pressure gauge on the pump discharge. Without the gauge all you can do is make a rough estimate. http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/whisperDS.pdf
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)