2 speed pump motor problem

J20832

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2009
Olney, MD
I recently replaced a 1 hp single speed motor with a B2980 which is a two speed 3/4 hp motor. The new motor is only running in low speed. Originally I wired it with one hot to the "com" and the other to a switch which fed "hi" and "low" terminals. In either position, the pump would only run on low speed. I even disconnected the switch and wired it to just the "com" and "hi" settings, the pump still runs on low (with no connection to the "low" terminal at all). I tested my power going to the pump and confirmed the voltage on both "hot" lines. Any thoughts? Did I get a bad pump that I need to return?

A few of the two speed motors have an internal jumper that can set the motor into single speed mode. I suggest double checking the wiring diagram on the motor to be sure you haven't missed anything before returning it.

The wiring diagram on the motor was terrible. A look at the A.O. Smith website

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/products/distributionpoolandspa/default.aspx?id=569&terms=b2984

for the technical drawing made it much clearer, I had the connections switched at the motor. Since the diagram doesn't match the layout of the terminals, I don't see why there is even a diagram, why not just list the connections...

anyway, thanks for the help, I would never have realized if I wasn't researching whether or not there was a jumper! Hopefully the weblink will benefit others with the new pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.