My Results-What next

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
FC-1
CC-0
TC-1
pH-7.8
TA-200 (Bringing down with aeration and lowering pH)
CH-100 (Needs to be brought up to around 300. Checked twice to be sure)
CYA-25 (Was in between 30-20 on the tube)

Questions?

:arrow: About CYA, So should I go with 20, 25, or 30? I plan on using 40 as my goal for now or should I use 50? If I use 40 should I add the full amount it says? If I go with 50, should I add a certain percentage?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Now that you know your CYA is 20-30 - enter 40 as the "target" and 20 as your "now" and calculate from there. Then add it all via the sock method.

Add 651 ounces=41 lbs by weight of calcium chloride to increase CH from 100-300. If I add the full 45 lbs, it will take it between 300-325

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/14428

I was looking and to go from 20-40 on CYA it shows to add 3 lbs 11 ounces. Would I be safe to just add a 4 lbs bucket to make it easy?

You could add 4 lbs - look at the effects of adding chemicals section of the pool calculator to see how much 4 lbs will raise the CYA.

Predissolve the CH increaser in a bucket of water, a little at a time, then pour in front of the return, brush the pool to help it dissolve.

A level of 250 is fine for plaster. Where did you get 300?

frustratedpoolmom said:
You could add 4 lbs - look at the effects of adding chemicals section of the pool calculator to see how much 4 lbs will raise the CYA.

Predissolve the CH increaser in a bucket of water, a little at a time, then pour in front of the return, brush the pool to help it dissolve.

A level of 250 is fine for plaster. Where did you get 300?

Is that the correct stuff for CH increaser? Also I know not to add all at the same time, but after I do a little and dissolve it, can I just add all of what I have, by dissolving a little in water?

mynewpool said:
The pool calculator says 200-400.
Actually, the Pool Calculator says different things depending on how you have the yellow suggested goals section setup. The "Traditional Pool" setting recommends 200 to 400. The TroubleFreePool.com/Plaster setting recommends 250-350.

At the start of the season, you usually want the CH to be somewhere towards the high end of the range. Over the course of the season the CH level will tend to go down (in most areas, arid conditions are often different). By starting near the high end of the range, you should still be in range at the end of the season despite any splash out/backwashing/overflowing that happens.

So can I add all the CH increaser at the same time, by dissolving a little at a time and adding it? I have a very big bucket, so could I put in a lot of water and almost fill it up. Add the CH Increaser and have it all disolved in the water. Then add the disolved CH increaser all at the same time, little by little by pouring in a little at a time?

Also is that CH increaser considered calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate, because that will determine how much I should add.

Also depending on which I add first, the cya or ch increaser, how much time in between each one? I assume around an hr or so?

Also can I sitll work on bringing down the TA while adding these other chemicals?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
mynewpool said:
The pool calculator says 200-400.
Actually, the Pool Calculator says different things depending on how you have the yellow suggested goals section setup. The "Traditional Pool" setting recommends 200 to 400. The TroubleFreePool.com/Plaster setting recommends 250-350.

At the start of the season, you usually want the CH to be somewhere towards the high end of the range. Over the course of the season the CH level will tend to go down (in most areas, arid conditions of often different). By starting near the high end of the range, you should still be in range at the end of the season despite any splash out/backwashing/overflowing that happens.

I saw the 250-350. I set the part in the pool calculator of the suggested goal levels and the 200-400 is what it said.

Dissolving calcium chloride generates heat, so you want to experiment with how much to do at once. Don't want to scald yourself.

With CH and CYA, where the only easy direction to go is up, you want to undershoot your target in case of some mistake in figuring amounts (can happen if you've mis-estimated your pool volume, for example). Add some, let it settle for a while (days), then see where you are.
--paulr

Also it appears they have liquid conditioner on sale for 26.99 for a gallon. This is a little less than what I need to add as not to overshoot my goal and seems easier to add as not having to do the sock method. Will this work as well? How long does the liquid form take to register?

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/12306

Another question, is does this liquid stablizer lose its effect over time? What about the CH, does it lose its effect over time as well?

Thanks.

frustratedpoolmom said:
It will work, it just costs alot more money than granular, not really worth the added expense

Well the granular is 21.99 and the liquid is 26.99, so not too much of a difference. Normally it is 35.99 and that is a huge difference.

Also we are supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow, should I wait until the rain goes away to add this stuff or does it not matter? The only reason I ask is becuase if it rains too much and I have to drain some water, I do not want to drain out what I just put in.

So both the stablizer and ch increaser are added directly into the pool around a vent? Does it matter if it is the deep end or shallow end?

So on the CH increaser, I read above that it generates a lot of heat and I should experiment on how much to add. How do I know if I added too much at one time? I plan on filling up my 5 gallon bucket with pool water out of the pool, and put the ch increaser in that water and let it disolve and then pour in the pool in front of a vent. Is this a good way to do it?

Thanks for all the help and I know I have asked a lot of questions. This is the first time I am trying to get my pool ready for the actual swim season.

I've added calcium chloride a couple of times (even though a vinyl pool doesn't need it) and have mixed it in a 5 gallon bucket. About 10 lbs is all you want to mix in a 5 gallon bucket at one time and it gets pretty warm. I use a fiberglass pole to mix it with. I pour ~1/3rd in, mix it up, pour another 1/3rd in, mix it up, pour the last in and mix it real well then pour it in front of a return.

Since the CH increaser I posted above is calcium chloride dihydrate where do I get calcium chloride? Per the pool calculator you have to use less of the calcium chloride then the calcium chloride dihydrate.

If I add calcium chloride then I should add 814 ounces=51 lbs, if I do calcium chloride dihydrate I have to add 1079 oz=67 lbs. So it appears to be difference. These are both by weight. This was from the pool calculator.

Thanks.

I bought mine at the local farm store. It was DowFlake, 77 to 80% calcium chloride. I don't know where you're located, but up north it's sold as deicer. There is also a Dowflake Xtra which is 83-87%. If you get that just use a bit less than the PC tells you to.

Bama Rambler said:
I bought mine at the local farm store. It was DowFlake, 77 to 80% calcium chloride. I don't know where you're located, but up north it's sold as deicer. There is also a Dowflake Xtra which is 83-87%. If you get that just use a bit less than the PC tells you to.

Updated my location. I am in the Houston area, so maybe someone in the area could chime in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.