Not your normal pool

Apr 22, 2010
My concrete pool had an old worn out plaster coating. I had a fiberglass lining installed and then painted with expoy paint. The fiberglass is 2 ply which makes it about as thick as a dime. The paint was heavily applied. I'm not sure what my target numbers should be. My last visit to Pinch A Penny got these results: TC 5 (could be higher, their test stops at 5); FC 5; CC 0; pH 7.5; TA 75; CH 280; CYA 70; Dissolved Solids 600; I need someone experienced to give me some target numbers. Central Florida, algae is an area wide problem. I would like to control algae without spending big bucks for algaecide.

steveocombs, IG 30,000, gunite shell w/fiberglass lining; 2- return lines each w/ 100 sq in filter and chemical feeder; both are 38 gpm filter rating; 1 1/2 dual speed pump;

Hi Steve, welcome!
Your PH, TA, CH and CYA are fine (CYA a little high but prob okay for Florida). What kind of filter is it?

Have you read Pool School? Lots of useful information there. You need to maintain your FC level according to the CYA chart, never letting it go below the "min" level according to your CYA of 70. Provided you keep your FC levels up, you should not experience algae.

We recommend you test with your own kit - there is an article in Pool School that compares the two we recommend. They both contain the FAS-DPD test which can test FC/CC up to 50ppm and is very accurate.

So off to Pool School - should you have any questions at all, just post back here and we'll help ya out! :)

frustratedpoolmom said:
We recommend you test with your own kit - there is an article in Pool School that compares the two we recommend. They both contain the FAS-DPD test which can test FC/CC up to 50ppm and is very accurate.

:goodjob:

If there is exposed concrete or plaster then treat it as plaster. If there is exposed fiberglass then treat it as fiberglass. If the epoxy paint covers all of the fiberglass and concrete then you can treat the pool as if it was a vinyl liner pool.

Okay, we are moving forward. Treat the pool as a vinyl liner. That gives me a base to work from. Thanks so much. By the way the filters are cartridge. And when the pump is running on slow speed, the old filter(with 1 1/2 IO) shows 3 lbs pressure while the new filter (with 2" IO) shows zero pressure. On high speed, the old filter pressure guage shows 10 while the new filter shows 7. Seems right by me but the PAP guy thought maybe the new guage wasn't working. Thanks for the help. I'll be back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.