Step by step for filling an empty pool?

Is there a section in Pool School that gives step-by-step instructions for filling an empty pool? I assume the process would be a bit different than the instructions for "opening" a pool for the season.

In my case the pool will be drained of the 2 ft (or less) that is currently in it, then filled and starting from scratch, so I just want to know what to do first once it is filled...what to test for first?, what chems to add first?, etc.

I'll be following the BBB method for maintaining the pool once I'm up and running

Thanks!

There really isn't a sticky for this. That is unless you have new plaster, in which case, there are some particulars about that specifically. Barring new plaster though, it's easy and we will help you. :goodjob:

Just start filling it up. Once it gets full (halfway point on your skimmer opening), turn your pump on and get the water circulating.

Once your water is circulating, you will need to add chlorine and start getting some CYA in there to protect your FC from getting burned off by the sun. Use the pool calculator (link in my signature) to calculate how much CYA you need to add to get you to, say, 30 ppm. Another way to tackle the FC and CYA addition in a hurry is by using dichlor. The great thing about dichlor in this situation is that you know you need both CYA and chlorine, dichlor adds both, and it dissolves very quickly.

Once you have started adding your CYA and you have added enough of your chlorine source to get you to an FC of, say, around 3 ppm for starters (use the pool calc to calculate how much chlorine to add) and it has circulated for a bit, run a panel of tests to see what you have. We can then go from there. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.