replacing the skimmer plate and butterfly gasket...

gonefishin

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
Joliet, Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

The skimmer plate on the inside of my pool has a small crack in it. I bought a new skimmer plate and butterfly gasket from Hayward, which arrived last night. This appears like it going to be staightforward...but I want to make sure that there isn't anything that I'm not aware of that can go wrong.

Is this just a simple take the old skimmer plate and skimmer off...take the old butterfly gasket off and replace both gasket and skimmer plate?

My one fear is that I remove the old skimmer plate and gasket and then the liner moves out of alignment :shock: I just want to make sure :D

thanks all!
dan

Is this on an in ground pool? Either way the liner won't move, if it is on an above ground pool, what could happen is the whole skimmer would be detached, and a lot or water would drain out. But as for the liner moving, the water pushes it and holds it in place.

Yeah, it's an above ground. I've got the water drained below the skimmer mouth, so the water draining (or holding it in place) won't be an issue. The only thing I could imagine that would "pull" it off course is the fact that the liner may have a bit of tension on it due to the cold temperatures. I'm sure your right...and I'm being a bit overly cautious.

thanks,
dan

Storms have been pretty bad here lately. Two tornado sitings, and my pool is overflowing for two days now. But just think, this weekend is going to be 70-80, I will get to finish getting my pool heater plumbed! Good luck on your project.

Congrats on the heater sevver!

Well...I didn't have time to change the skimmer plate. Instead I played microwave repairman on my GE Advantium 120 piece of junk! The thing breaks just out of warranty...thanks GE. UGH! Then I had to put up a new mailbox...because ours got run over by a car during the night. UGH! I'll have to get to it tomorrow :?

take care all,
dan

Thanks Matt (and all). I did get it replaced and it was a piece of cake. A second pair of hands would have been helpful, but I managed without.

thanks again,
dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same skimmer and it only comes with 1 butterfly gasket. What is the right order of assembly? The directions are not clear on where the gasket goes.
Is it:
Face plate -> gasket -> liner -> pool wall -> skimmer ?

I have the WM or wide version. I installed it on a new pool and it drips down the outside of the pool wall. Probably is leaking down the inside of the pool wall also. I tightened the screws as tight as I could with a screwdriver.

I have droped the pool water down below the skimmer until I get this figured out.

Yes I'm installing a pool in October! How crazy is that. :)
Any suggestions?

I have the same skimmer and it only comes with 1 butterfly gasket. What is the right order of assembly? The directions are not clear on where the gasket goes.
Is it:
Face plate -> gasket -> liner -> pool wall -> skimmer ?

I have the WM or wide version. I installed it on a new pool and it drips down the outside of the pool wall. Probably is leaking down the inside of the pool wall also. I tightened the screws as tight as I could with a screwdriver.

I have droped the pool water down below the skimmer until I get this figured out.

Yes I'm installing a pool in October! How crazy is that. :)
Any suggestions?

We installed a Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer into our Intex Ultraframe 12'x24'x54" today and just did it exactly like the instructions said. It was a b#@$!#$ to get on but I like that the gasket/grommet whatever was left intact and is on both sides of the pool and joined. We installed with it first all on inside, cut the liner hole and still had to trim another 1/8" of an inch off one side.

So first time it's faceplate, butterfly gasket, liner, skimmer. You really need a hole punch or drill to get decent holes for the screws. But you install this way and then cut the hole in your liner and take it back apart.

Reinstall but this time the butterfly gasket fits over edge of liner and is on both sides of liner overlapping the edge.

It wasn't always easy but he got it done. I assisted by holding the screwdriver, nail, pliers, screws and picked up any screws that fell into the pool. Since we just filled it last night with water, the hardest part on me was getting cramps from the cold water. 65 degrees brrrrrrrrrrr. One he had all the screws through the face plate, gasket with liner sandwiched between that gasket he then attached it to the main skimmer housing. I'll take a picture tomorrow of how it turned out. I really wished I had my camera in the midst but alas I was assisting and running off to get camera and take picture would have got me in big trouble and knowing me I would dropped my phone in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.