Another newbie question - port settings?

Apr 14, 2010
I've been looking online as best I can, but cannot seem to find an answer. Our inground pool has a Hayward 4 way flow control valve leading into the filter system. It has 1/2 and 1/2 and Full settings on both Port 1 and Port 2. I've figured out that Port 1 is our skimmer and Port 2 is the main drain, so by process of elimination, 1/2 and 1/2 should be running both. Why would there be a 1/2 and 1/2 setting by each Port though?

I'm guessing I need to be running the system set to 1/2 and 1/2, switching to full Port 1 when I vacuum. Is that correct?

Welcome to TFP!!

You're pretty close :) However, you want to keep some suction coming in from the MD when vacuuming so that you don't get TOO much suction causing the vac head to stick to the floor :wink: (an easy way to know how far to close off the MD side is: hook up the vac and then adjust the valve until you see a 1/2 - 1 psi drop on the pressure gauge :cool: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.