Sorry...more help with test results and a phosphates ?

hawkeyes

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
I can't wait for the day when I know the answers to my plethora of pool questions!

1. Stupid question about the CYA test. Ok. Pour until I don't see the black dot. Like NO black dot AT ALL or just until it's no longer black? I can still see the outline of the dot but it is no longer black at a much lower number than when I can't see anything at the bottom at all. Sorry...I said it was a stupid question. :hammer:

2. I have not yet put the salt in my pool. Can do that tomorrow. Here are my readings:

pH 7.5
FC 2.5
CC .5
TC 2
TA 120
CH 260
CYA: anywhere from 50-70 depending on how I read the darn thing.
Do I need to add bleach or do I wait since I'm adding the salt tomorrow and it will start producing the chlorine on it's own? What about the TA? I am not sure I understand what the pool calculator is telling me to do on that.

3. Lastly, I have read on here about the phosphate level and not to fall for the pool store trying to sell me expensive PhosFree. I hadn't told my husband this and he took the test in the other day (which was WAY different than my numbers, btw) and they told him the phosphate level was "ridiculously high" and sold him a $35 jug of "potent strength" Phosfree. He put it in the skimmer basket. When he did there were instantly lots of white-ish bubbles that formed in the spa and subsequently over the waterfall into the pool. Well....it's been 2 days and there are *still* white-ish bubbles!!! Nothing like it was before but it still doesn't look normal. When I took my water in today to be tested to compare my levels (again...way different...makes me doubt myself!!) they again said, "Wow...super high phosphate levels". I told him we had just added an entire jug of PhosFree and he said that didn't make sense b/c my readings were still super high. Why would that be? I don't doubt that they are telling me to buy the PhosFree un-necessarily but I don't think they are making up the high number initially. What's up here?

MUCH THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

PH and TA are fine. Yes, add chlorine via bleach -refer to the CYA chart for your "targe" and "min" levels - use the non-swg section until the SWG is functioning.

PHosphates are algae food. BUT, if you maintain the FC according to the CYA chart at all times, the phosphates are irrelevant. The side effects of the phosfree should go away soon.

frustratedpoolmom said:
PH and TA are fine. Yes, add chlorine via bleach -refer to the CYA chart for your "targe" and "min" levels - use the non-swg section until the SWG is functioning.

PHosphates are algae food. BUT, if you maintain the FC according to the CYA chart at all times, the phosphates are irrelevant. The side effects of the phosfree should go away soon.

So I'm looking at adding about 150 oz of 6% bleach?

Thanks for info on black dot. I wish I had a test that just read me digital numbers on the pH and CYA!!!

150 oz should get you in the lower target range, yes.

Ahhh, if it were only so easy.. :wink:

BTW, the Phosfree doesn't remove phosphates immediately. It will coat your filter and scavenge out the phosphates as it filters. Don't be surprised if the next time you clean your filter you don't have a bunch of white stuff come off/out of the filter. Your hubby did pour it in the skimmer, right? and not directly in the pool?

edit: Ahhh, I knew I'd read this somewhere on the forum. Here's a quote on how Phosfree works:

"The lanthenum chloride in the PoolPerfect+PhosFree converts to lanthenum carbonate when it reacts with the carbonate alkalinity in the water. This clouds the water in much the same way that calcium can when added to a pool with high total alkalinity and forms calcium carbonate. The lanthenum carbonate gets caught in the filter and this is what actually scavages the phosphates by converting to lanthenum phosphate. Clouding is very common with lanthenum based phosphate removers but can be minimized by adding them to the skimmer and not directly into the pool. IMHO, they are not really necessary except in very special cases."

MikeInTN said:
150 oz should get you in the lower target range, yes.

Ahhh, if it were only so easy.. :wink:

BTW, the Phosfree doesn't remove phosphates immediately. It will coat your filter and scavenge out the phosphates as it filters. Don't be surprised if the next time you clean your filter you don't have a bunch of white stuff come off/out of the filter. Your hubby did pour it in the skimmer, right? and not directly in the pool?

He poured it into the skimmer basket that is near the spa. Lovely...white gunk all over the filter. Yippee.

ohhh...phosphates...never heard of 'em till I got pool stored last year...big time.

A new place discovered the phosphate hook. They were amazed at the number of phosphates in people's pools here..imagine that. Could it have been because we weren't keeping our FC levels high enough to KILL THE ALGAE????? Hmmm...I wonder. lol...

I bought the stuff too. And I had the clouds. And my pool never cleared completely last year after that.
When that little voice in me says 'walk away'...now I listen.

TFP is the way to be...lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.