Pool Opening

Sep 2, 2009
Split off of Pool Openings thread

Hi. I've never posted anywhere before so I hope this is correct. We took off cover, water clear. Refilled pool and tested for chlorine with TF100 kit but water did not turn pink after adding powder. Do I need to add some chlorine first? Pool was closed in Oct 09, beautiful thanks to your website. We converted from Baq. ph 7.2 Thank you. anne-dogwalker (24ft. round, above grd. sand filter)

Hi Anne,
When you converted, did you use our site's conversion instructions?

Did you change the sand and add CYA? If yes, did you test for CYA yet?

How long did you allow the water to circulate before you tested, and can you post your TA as well?

Yes, you'll need chlorine if you added powder and it didn't turn pink then your FC is 0 Your chlorine level is based on your CYA level - so you need to know that number first. :)

Since you have the TF-100 use the OTO chlorine test in the blue box to check for chlorine. I'm sure you don't have any but that's a very good yes-no test. When you put the drops in, if it turns color you have chlorine, if it doesn't, you don't.

Also since you have the TF-100 kit go ahead and run a full set of tests and post the results.
pH = 7.2
FC =
CC =
TA =
CH =
CYA =

The cya test was 0, I saw the dot with cylinder full. TA test was 60. Tried the FC test, but the water didn't turn pink so I couldn't complete it. That's what I'm confused about. Last fall during the conversion with no chlorine at all, it still turned pink. Water temp is about 60 degrees. We did use this site's conversion instructions. Changed sand last season. Thank you for fast answers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.