Polydimethyldiallylammonium

StuartPool

In The Industry
Apr 20, 2010
I am looking to see if there is a common substance that I can use to replace this expensive stuff
It is branded ad "pool first aid" it is the active ingredient
It really did work in our pool making it look good.
Not sure how it works but it did.

Poly Dimethyldiallylammonium Chloride
Product code: LY PDAC
CAS Name: 2-Propen-1-aminium,N,N-dimethyl-N-Propenyl-,chloride homopolymer
CAS No.: 26062-79-3
Appearance: Colorless to light yellow viscose liquid
Solid content: 40%
pH: 4.0-7.0
Viscosity(25°C): 8000-12000
Application:
Used as flocculants in water and wastewater treatment. In the mining and the process of mineral, it is always used in dewater flocculants which can extensively applied in treating various mineral mud, such as coal, taconite, natural alkali, gravel mud and titania. In the papermaking, it is used as paper conductivity paint to make conductive paper. Moreover, this product also can be used as conditioner, antistatic agent, wetting agent, shampoo, emollient and so on

chem geek and others can probably add to this more than I could, but basically, this just sounds like a long chain polymer which acts as a floc. It's uncommon that one would need to use a flocculent for anything since good filtration, water balance, and patience generally takes care of any issues that the product might claim to fix.

Pool First Aid contains enzymes that break down oils and organic residue, along with a clarifier. It is a life saver when you really need it, and a waste of money the rest of the time.

One of the main principals of the BBB method is to not add anything you don't need to add to the pool. That saves you money and possible head aches down the road. If you spill some oil in the pool, you soak up what you can and then use a product like Pool First Aid that will help break down the rest. For more ordinary situations you can simply skip products like this and everything will still turn out just fine, saving you money and any risk of side effects.

Right - or something like that.

I once had the heat exchanger on my heat pump fail. The refrigerant and compressor lubricant (mineral oil?) got blown into my swimming pool via the returns. That's when I needed it.

I had painted my house as well as applied sealer to the concrete deck around the pool
It also rains alot some months many times 3 to 5 inches in an hour. 2 years ago we had 15 inches in 1 hour, thats another story. After painting the house and deck, it saved the pool. I had tried everything.

Now even though we have good drainage, we have a screen enclousere over and around the pool The screen seems to trap dirt. When we have a "giant" rain, it washes off the screens on the top and into the pool

We also will sometimes get runoff from the deck into the pool as well. I keep it pretty clean but it still happens.

our filter works hard, and I keep it really clean, compared to the normal pool person I know, but the bio load after the rain is alot.

I am thinking of running another inline filter to ease this, but for now I was using the pool perfect to make it easier.

I dont know if running 2 filter canisters on the pool is a good option. I have the C900 in place, its less than 2 years old that is why I dont want to just change it out to a larger one plus with the solar panels its much harder to exchange than to just add another inline.

the current filter is post pump. I can put another c900 in post pump and run them both together.
Is that a stupid idea??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.