Sand filter drains quickly

Owen

Apr 21, 2010
I am having a similar problem with a Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP and a Hayward Sand Filter. The system was installed four years ago and the problem occurs during the first month or so or each season since installation. However, when the pump is turned off while the filter valve is in the filter selection, the sand filter drains quickly and the pump basket drains about half way. I typically have to prime it a couple of times before it finally catches when starting back up, but I also continue to have a small to moderate amount of air bubbles. I have replaced the O-Ring on the pump each year and this year, suspecting the cover to the pump might be faulty (slight ejection of water out between cover and pump basket when pump shut off), I replaced the cover on the pump basket as well. All was well for a week and now the problem returns. I have suspected the possibility that the rings in the filter valve might be the culprit as well - is that a likely possibility. I should replace the sand, so I could do all this at one time.

Thanks for any help!!

Welcome to TFP.

Have you tried lubing the O-ring on the strainer basket lid with pool lube? This can make a huge difference.

I have to snug mine down pretty good to get a seal.

I am having the same problem with mine as well. My filter is a Purex-Triton TR-60. Every time the pump is started, I have to open the manual air bleeder on top of the filter for about a minute to get all the air out. I don't have the air in the pump strainer basket, though. A friend told me it could be the gasket or seals in the multiport valve, so you may want to check that out.

Thank you for your responses. I did replace and lube the O-Ring on the strainer basket. In fact, this year I replaced the strainer basket lid as I had noticed some water spurting out from between it and the basket last year. This did solve that problem, but still have the quick drain when pump shut off. I have checked all the above ground pipe fittings for leakes as well, so I am leaning toward the seals in the multiport valve. You can hear the water drain quickly from the sand filter. It's probably a good time to replace the sand as well, so this may be the next step.

Has anyone had any leak issues that were from the multiport valve and did replacing any items help?

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.