MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
No more flex hose for me. :goodjob:

IMG_0506-1.jpg

IMG_0507-1.jpg

That looks outstanding! I have been thinking about doing that myself but wasn't sure how to do it and still have an easy pool closing. Now I see that you simply use threaded slip unions! And I bet you did it yourself in a few hours and less than 50 bucks (for piping,shut-off valves, slip unions, primer and glue) - is that about right? I guess I just needed to see a picture. Thanks for posting.

Great job!
Marc

Thanks to all for the compliments!

Marc D - Yep, I used unions so I can take it all apart come fall when I close the pool. I think the total cost was around $70 or so. The unions are around $7 each, and the valves are around $11 each. The pipe and associated 90 elbows and tee's are cheap. All told, I spent about 8 hours doing it, off and on. I had to move the blocks that the pump/filter sits on back a bit, and that entailed relocating the ground rod my electrician installed, which took some time. Nothing like working a four or five foot grounding rod out of the ground with a pair of vice grips and a hammer. My arms and chest are still sore.

FPM - Shoot yeah, I can be persuaded to be hired out! For the right price, I'll do just about anything. :mrgreen: The lower return is exactly that - a return. My pool came with both the upper and lower return. I use a suction side cleaner, either a manual one (me) or an Aquabug.

I also replaced my skimmer with a Hayward model. I believe my old skimmer was a Waterway, and I was having a hard time finding skimmer baskets for it around here. Not so for Hayward. I also bought an aquadoor, and figured if I was going to have to take the faceplate off anyway, might as well replace the skimmer now.

beartoothweb said:
Have you a parts list?

Here's a quick parts list for my setup, but it may or may not match up to your pump/filter configuration.

For my setup (everything is 1 1/2" sch40 pvc):

4 - slip/slip threaded unions
3 - slip ball valves*
4 - male threaded/slip connectors
8 - slip 90 bend connectors
1 - slip tee connector
2 - 10' sections pipe

* - I actually used two slip ball valves, and one that was threaded, because I installed the ball valves for the returns back when i was still using flex pipe, and all Lowe's had at the time was one threaded, and one slip. So, I used a threaded/slip connectors to make everything work with the hose barbs I was using at the time. I didn't want to buy new valves for the returns, so I made it work with what I already had. If I was doing it from scratch, I would use two slip ball valves for the returns, and wrote up the parts list as if I was starting from scratch.

I also have an Intex SWCG plumbed in after the filter, and used a slip/slip threaded union between the filter and SWCG as well. I didn't include this union in the parts list above.

rastoma said:
That looks great, but what is wrong with flex hose? Is it just a matter of looks?

There have been some instances reported on here where a flex hose came off a fitting and dumped a bunch of water before the owners discovered it. NWMNMom had it happen a couple of times to her. Plus, when I would do my grass trimming around the pool, I was always afraid of hitting one of the hoses that always managed to lie just outside of the edging. Those were my reasons for getting rid of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike, I believe you are referring to regular flex hose that comes standard with typical AGP pump/filter set-up vs. tigerflex/flexpvc sch 40 plumbing. I love your work, very neat and agree rigid done right is very neat, but flex pvc is often used in inground installs so I would hope they would hold up a few years for agp use.

That looks great Mike! I've never seen two returns on an above ground pool like that. I bet you get some great circulation! I'm almost jealous... :mrgreen:

dmanb2b said:
Mike, I believe you are referring to regular flex hose that comes standard with typical AGP pump/filter set-up vs. tigerflex/flexpvc sch 40 plumbing. I love your work, very neat and agree rigid done right is very neat, but flex pvc is often used in inground installs so I would hope they would hold up a few years for agp use.

You're exactly right, I was referring to the flex hose that came with my setup, and not flex pvc. Like you, I would think and hope that flex pvc is much more durable. Question - how are the end connectors attached to flex pvc? Glued on, just like rigid?? Seems like that's one of the weak points with the regular flex hose.

Casey said:
That looks great Mike! I've never seen two returns on an above ground pool like that. I bet you get some great circulation! I'm almost jealous... :mrgreen:

Thanks, Casey. I don't know if it's great circulation, but every little bit helps. The lower return really comes in handy when I've got to run a fountain to cool down the pool. I run the fountain off of the top return, and still get some circulation from the lower one.

Almost? :mrgreen:

Wow, that looks very nice. Great job!

I see you have a 1hp 2-speed. Are you running it on low mostly? If not, will you be doing that now? I'm sure your flow rates have improved.

Mine is 2" pvc with a cartridge filter and I love. it. I never did hook up the supplied hoses. Just went straight to the pvc, because I came to this forum before I installed the pool. lol

Great job. Have fun.

Why did you make the runs to the ground? Like from the skimmer to the pump, it goes to the ground then back up to the pump.

I'm not questioning the decision, just asking questions because I think I want to hard plumb mine now :)

Also, how's that SWG holding up? I've been tossing around the idea of that too on my AGP. Do you have to do extra cleaning for dried salt deposits?

Lazyman - thanks for the compliment. Yep, I do run my pump on low speed the vast majority of the time. The only time put it on high is when I'm adding something to the pool, and when I vacuum. I stayed with 1 1/2". If I get some solar panels I'll probably switch out to 2" then.

rastoma - I took the runs to the ground so that ground can support the weight of the pipe and water in the pipe. I didn't like the thought of that extra weight being on the skimmer and returns. Also, I wanted them low enough to step over easily if I need to walk through that area (like when hooking up my vacuum line to my skimmer after burping it with the top return). The Intex is holding up just fine, going on it's third year. I've got a new one that I caught on sale up in the attic for when this one gives up the ghost. I haven't had to do any extra cleaning with this one - I'm pretty sure it self-cleans by reversing the polarity of the cell plates every so often.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.