Bonding Questions

Jun 14, 2008
I will be reworking my pad this weekend and will be replacing my pump, filter and installing a new Swim Pure Salt Water Chlorine Generator. My IG pool was build in the 70's and I have been unable to find any signs of bonding wires. My heater and pump have lugs but nothing attached...I have even done a little digging around the pad and found nothing. I do not have any ladders but have stainless steel rim around the pool. My question is what can be done to correctly bond the pool. Would simply making sure the pump, SWG, and Heater are bonded be enough? If not do I need to go to extremes to bond to the rebar and stainless coping?

25,000 Gal Vinyl Lining

Welcome to TFP.

The goal of bonding is to make sure that anything conductive that touches the water or that a swimmer can touch while in the water is the same voltage. For maximum safety, the metal parts of the pool need to be connected as well. I don't know how difficult that would be to retrofit for your situation.

I would definitely bond all the new stuff and if at all possible I'd bond the coping. Depending on where you live and the code enforcement there, once you upgrade one piece of equipment you may be required to bring everything up to code.

Thanks. Install went well and I will be bonding the new equipment. But I have been testing continuity and found that the coping and skimmer which is also metal are not bonded. Besides the obvious safety concerns I am also starting to research the relationship between bonding and increased corrosion risk that could be caused by the addition of salt.

You can see the install here...overall I am pretty happy with the way it has turned out.
http://oldhouse.blogsite.org/blog/?p=871

Looks like I will be able to get my pool bonded correctly. I was doing some digging this weekend for a new retaining wall and uncovered a stranded steel wire where the pool equipment was located before being moved by the previous owners. I did a continuity test between the steel wire and the coping and they are tied together. When the equipment was moved the bonding was never reattached.

DSC03915.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.