Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump timer..

1. Back To Top    #1

pump timer..

I have a pump in my poolhouse that is tied into a switch on the wall. If I wanted to throw a timer on that, what exactly am I looking for? I can handle light electrical work - is this something that is easy to install myself? How much will it cost?
    32k Gallon Vinyl IG, Hayward 75 DE, 1 HP, Chlorine. 4 top skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer. 2 top returns, 1 bottom return.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump timer..

It would be fairly simple to do. If you are light electrical handy, then it's merely a matter of purchasing the timer, shutting off the power to the circuit, disconnecting the switch, mounting the timer, and connecting the wires to the timer.

Intermatic makes mechanical pool timers that can be purchased pretty inexpensively. That should do the trick I would think.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like they vary in price from $50-ish to over $100.

Anybody know anything specifically about which one to buy?
    32k Gallon Vinyl IG, Hayward 75 DE, 1 HP, Chlorine. 4 top skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer. 2 top returns, 1 bottom return.

4. Back To Top    #4

If it is out of the weather and 110V, you want T101. If 220V, then T104. If exposed to weather, T101P or T104P (these have weather-tight plastic enclosures). Get two extra sets of trip keys, one to use to have two pump intervals and one for a spare when you lose one).
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.