Buying a Polaris 280, what do I need?

John Rock

Apr 10, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Hi,

To help me keep my pool clean, I want to buy an automatic pool cleaner and from what I've seen, many people have the Polaris 280. I understand that I need a pump to make it work. Do I need anything else?

Best price I've seen so far :

$415 for the 280 vac
$228 for the PB4-60 pump

I seem to make a habit of answering beyond the bounds of my actual knowledge, but nobody else has replied so...

You need a dedicated return line between the pump and the Polaris, meaning that pipe runs only to the Polaris fitting, it doesn't split off to service other returns. Your existing plumbing might or might not allow you to re-purpose an existing return; if not, you're talking about a trench and laying new pipe from the pump to the new hole in your pool wall.

If you hadn't thought about that part of the deal yet, and it doesn't sound appealing, then you might want to research other kinds of cleaners that don't require a dedicated return.
--paulr

Wow, everytime I ask a question, I get a surprising anwser! I tought that I just had to take out the pump when I need it and buy some kind of hose to connect the pump to vacuum. At this point, I'm quite confused. If I hear correctly, the Polaris 280 would require me to make a new hole in the pool (return) and have new piping come back to the filter where my pump would be permanently set?

Modifing my pool is not option, if nothing else because I have a concrete sidewalk all around it (that's cracked up and will be a future topic!). I was looking at the Polaris 280 simply because it looked like the clear choice for something that works perfectly and won't break or require costly maintenance every year. Anything system that will allow to leave the cleaning to the machine without breaking the bank and modifying the pool would do the trick. Where should I go from here? Note that one of my two returns are non functional anymore and I don't plan on fixing that until I breakup the ciment sidewalk, which sounds costly. Thanks for the help!

You may have the plumbing in place already. We have been plumbing in those dedicated lines in our pools for over 20 years. Even if the customer did not buy a cleaner. Look for a line that is stubbed up with the rest of the other pipes (at the equipment) with a cap on it, or maybe no cap. And a return of some kind about half way between the shallow and deep end that never seems to have any water come out of it. You might get lucky.

Thanks, but I'm positive it's not "dedicated line" ready.

I ended up ordering the Polaris 9300 robot cleaner. With so many complaints about robots failing, I figured I should get one with 2 years warranty, "latest technology" and from a company that seems to have a good reputation for quality products. I know there's some risk to trying something new, but I didn't really see any safer options.

I only picked up the leaves in my green pool so this robot WILL put to the test! :whip:

5 years later, an update! My experience with the Polaris 9300 has been ok. The first one I got broke after a year because I left it for too long periods of time under water which infiltrated the wiring in the robot. I got another under warranty and it still works today, but the the cable ends up all twisted after a couple of uses, which is very annoying. I also runs 6 hours max, so you need to go push a button now and then. I'm doing a full reno my pool at the moment and putting in a dedicated line for a new Polaris 280. Hopefully this one will be as efficient or more, with less annoyances.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.