Pool Resurface in Orange County, CA

Hi everyone!

Well, I am currently looking into having my plaster pool resurfaced. Anyone know of a good pool builder?

I have been reading and had one give a bid so far. Going to look into a couple more before I make a decision.

The first quote was:

$5100 for plaster
$1800 new tile
$1500 new skimmer (its pulling away from the pool and cracked)

The pool is in poor condition and losing about 4-5 inches of water a week. Haven't done the bucket test yet to determine if its a leak or normal. But at the current rate, I'd have to add water about every 4 days to keep the pump from going dry (or at least keep the skimmer working).

The pool has old copper 1.5" lines. A rough estimate of doing a complete remodel with 2.5" pvc lines was at about low $20k. But I don't have the funds for that, just having bought the house. Maybe in the future (if and when I have equity).

Thanks....I am going to have another guy come out to give me an estimate. The first guy said he can do a pressure test of the plumbing when he does the resurface.

I could remodel the pool, with a new deck and new 2.5" PVC plumbing, but its going to cost like low $20k. I need to spend less than half of that now, and just keep it going for about 5-10 years until I can do a proper remodel.

The equipment isn't leaking, as the equipment is turned off and it still loses water just as fast. I do have an air leak to the motor that needs to be fixed. Thinking while the equipment is turned off, I can cut out the copper lines above ground and re-plumb with PVC to just the equipment.

The water slowed down after it passed the returns.

There is a main drain in the deep end and a drain in the spa.
Also a pool light (which is missing and I don't know where the J-box is) and a spa light. I used a rubber expanding plug on the electrical conduit from the pool light, but I guess it could be leaking around the housing.

Might just have to pony up money to do a leak test, or just pull the trigger on a resurface/tile job. See if they will address any leaks in the plumbing for a discount or something, and replace the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.