Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Resurface in Orange County, CA

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Resurface in Orange County, CA

Hi everyone!

Well, I am currently looking into having my plaster pool resurfaced. Anyone know of a good pool builder?

I have been reading and had one give a bid so far. Going to look into a couple more before I make a decision.

The first quote was:

$5100 for plaster
    $1800 new tile
    $1500 new skimmer (its pulling away from the pool and cracked)

The pool is in poor condition and losing about 4-5 inches of water a week. Haven't done the bucket test yet to determine if its a leak or normal. But at the current rate, I'd have to add water about every 4 days to keep the pump from going dry (or at least keep the skimmer working).

The pool has old copper 1.5" lines. A rough estimate of doing a complete remodel with 2.5" pvc lines was at about low $20k. But I don't have the funds for that, just having bought the house. Maybe in the future (if and when I have equity).
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Resurface in Orange County, CA

4-5 inches a week, no bucket test is needed. You do have a leak.
    Post some pics of your pool and equipment, you will get some feedback.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks....I am going to have another guy come out to give me an estimate. The first guy said he can do a pressure test of the plumbing when he does the resurface.

I could remodel the pool, with a new deck and new 2.5" PVC plumbing, but its going to cost like low $20k. I need to spend less than half of that now, and just keep it going for about 5-10 years until I can do a proper remodel.

The equipment isn't leaking, as the equipment is turned off and it still loses water just as fast. I do have an air leak to the motor that needs to be fixed. Thinking while the equipment is turned off, I can cut out the copper lines above ground and re-plumb with PVC to just the equipment.

4. Back To Top    #4

If your skimmer is in that bad of shape, it seems a likely spot for your leak.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

The water seems to be slowing down. So i am thinking its either just the skimmer, or also the return lines might be leaking.
    Once it gets about 8 inches below the intake of the skimmer, the level seems to be pretty stable.

6. Back To Top    #6

8 inches below the skimmer? Is that below the return lines as well?
    An "air leak to the motor" sounds like there is air in the pump basket. Is that the case? Can you hear the skimmer sucking air?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, 8 inches is below the returns as well.
    No, the air leak to the motor is right at the plumbing connection to the motor. There is some tape around it there to prevent air (improper fix).
    At the skimmer, you don't see any air leaks.

8. Back To Top    #8

If the water kept falling below the returns, then the leak is either in the main drain (do you have one?), or in the shell of the pool. Do you have a light?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

The water slowed down after it passed the returns.

There is a main drain in the deep end and a drain in the spa.
    Also a pool light (which is missing and I don't know where the J-box is) and a spa light. I used a rubber expanding plug on the electrical conduit from the pool light, but I guess it could be leaking around the housing.

Might just have to pony up money to do a leak test, or just pull the trigger on a resurface/tile job. See if they will address any leaks in the plumbing for a discount or something, and replace the skimmer.