Chlorinator help..

Apr 21, 2010
I have a 32k gallon IG pool. Hayward DE (75?) filter, Hayward CL220 Chlorinator. 4 wall skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer, 2 wall returns, 1 bottom return. Chlorine (obviously).

I can keep the pool very clean with little effort with this setup, generally. I pay a service to open and close the pool, but besides that I take care of it myself.

We just opened the pool this week. Everything looks good (besides the leaves and green water :-D that should clear up soon) but I have leaks where my Chlorinator (off-line model - rubber hose to PVC) attaches. Both at the chlorinator and at the PVC there are leaks.

More background - I friggin HATE that chlorinator. The cap o-ring stretches and needs replaced twice a year it seems, the dial seems meaningless and last season it occured to me that I'm not even sure how well it is working as the pucks seemed to last forever in it. The previous year it sucked them up every month or so.

Not sure my specific question, but here are some general questions..

1) Is this chlorinator necessary for running the pool? As I said - last season it didn't seem like there was even enough puck degeneration to be useful. Not sure why the pool stayed clear and balance, but it did.

2) Can I just take it off-line and put in a floater? And take that floater out when folks are swimming?

3) Is there a better chlorinator than this one without spending big bucks on a SWG? The friggin tiny plastic parts I'm going to have to buy to fix the fittings were quoted at $80!!! The entire unit can be purchased for that much?

Thoughts?

For the time being (until I get the parts) is there a good way to plug up the holes in the PVC and take this thing off line so that I can start filtering the pool without the chlorinator hooked up?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

The Rainbow 320 is a pretty good chlorinator. We tend to frown on all chlorinators as primary chlorination sources because of the high probability of over stabilization with trichlor pucks. You'll never be able to maintain your chlorine level with a floater. There just isn't enough flow to dissolve the pucks rapidly enough.

Many folks here just pour bleach into the pool daily to maintain our sanitation. Bleach or liquid shock have far less troubling side effects than other chlorine sources. Check out Pool School in the upper right corner of the page for some good reading.

Ironmanix,
Take a look at the Liquidator, I installed it last year and have been very pleased with easability and the effectiveness of the product. I spent about $175 for the unit and the conversion parts, Take a look at the thread about the liquidator. Also the 3/8" conversion is a must.

TRW

CL220s need to have nipples, gaskests, hoses, the white nuts, check valve, replaced now an then.

The o-ring gasket should be lubed with Jacks Lube. periodically.

Gently scrape the crud that forms on the inside of the tank near the threads.

If the tabs don't dissolve, check the check valve for crud.

The Pentair/Rainbow 320 is a better unit as tab feeders go. The tank drains when the pump goes off, assuming you don't have a flooded suction, so when you pop the top off, no WHAM of chlorine hits the eyes and nose.

When the stabilizer level hit 60 (+/- 10) switch to daily additions of bleach, a Liquidor or salt cell. It's cheaper and easier in the long run.

Scott

ironmanix said:
1) Is this chlorinator necessary for running the pool?

No, not at all. Some folks read about the daily bleach additions and think "every day?!" (I know I did.... back when I had an inline chlorinator/ionizer.)

Literally its 5 minutes a day, max - and I'll tell you sometimes not even that. :)

It takes 5 minutes to test for FC, and add bleach if necessary. Piece of cake. :wink:

Thanks for the replies..

I'll do some studying of the other threads. I have taken care of the pool for the three years we've owned this house and it's been very clean and sparkling with little effort and pool-specific chemicals. However, I'm very interested in the ideas and concepts I've browsed here using the generic stuff.

Bleaching the pool daily is not an issue at all - I'm out there nearly everyday as it is.

Pool school is where it's at, then? That's the best starting point for this stuff? I know I can find it somewhere else, but what kind of bleach am i looking for? Where do I get it - how much will I used and what kind of annual savings are we talking about?

Well, your pool is larger than mine, so keep that in mind. My pool is open from mid April to mid September, and I spend between $50-75 on bleach. The only thing I have used in my pool in three years are bleach, last year I needed additional CYA and a bit of borax. Other than that, it's just been bleach. I've not had any algae issues, no CCs, no reason to shock the pool (except for winterizing/extended vacations.) It's very easy and low maintenance and all without any additional chems. :) Regular 6% Clorox or the store brand equivilent. I use Wal-mart "Great Value" 182 large jug for $2.54; or I get 12.5% liquid chlorine from my local pool store as they sell it for a good price. I can get four jugs for $12.00 and it will last approx a month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.