New pool need info please

Mar 24, 2010
Southern Indiana
Thank you for this site I have learned a lot but I have a few questions now that it's time to do it.

We just installed a 24' round pool with a sand filter, it's filling now. I plan to do the BBB method and got most of my supplies, test kit is ordered.

I am confused on the CYA I ask for a stabilizer at the pool store, which they call conditioner. Seems on here I saw it refered to as shock.

Do I use the Conditioner or shock before I start with bleach? or both I am confused. Water tested out of faucet with strips shows PH fine no chlorine.

Any new start up pool info is welcome. I think I need to go read more pool school.

Do check out the pool school info on the BBB Method. You'll want to use bleach to attain your chlorine level. CYA (Stabilizer) is what keeps the chlorine active longer (sun destroys chlorine). You want to be careful as you raise your CYA levels, however, as there is no real way to bring them back down other than partially draining and replacing water.
Shock is a verb...you use higher levels of chlorine to shock your pool when it needs it (algae outbreak, etc.). Check out pool school and do yourself a favor and get duraleigh's pool test kit (or something really similar). You'll find it SO much easier to do your own chems. that way.

Cyanuric acid, CYA, is often called stabilizer or conditioner. However, other things are sometimes called stabilizer or conditioner, so it can get a little confusing.

Shock is a process, not a thing. Some of the chemicals used to shock the pool, notably dichlor, contain cyanuric acid. But cyanuric acid can not be used to shock the pool. On a related note, some forms of chlorine also contain cyanuric acid, for example trichlor pucks.

You need to have some cyanuric acid in the water to prevent the chlorine from all being lost to sunlight each day. You can get by for a couple of days without cyanuric acid, by adding 2 ppm of chlorine each evening after sunset, but that is not a good long term strategy.

Thank you both for your help, however now I have a new issue. Advice please.....

My filter came shipped without the O ring, so as I get it full enough to turn on it is leaking everwhere. I called the pool installer and he came out and discovered the problem, he called the pool store and they are suspossed to be getting an O ring. Now he had to leave and his partner is going to take care of this, the pool store didn't sound very cooperative from his end of the phone conversation.

Now my problem is I have not put any stabilizer or bleach in the pool at all since I can't turn the filter on. What should I do?

I did receive my fancy TF-100 test kit, it has more directions than my pool came with but I haven't tested yet.

I am worried becaue rain is coming and I sure don't want it to turn green. I also have a clear solar cover on at least the sun is shinning now.

Do you have a pole and brush combo? You can add some bleach and stir it up manually. Just pour slowly around the perimter of the pool, (floating the jug in the water while you pour helps reduce splashing.) Add enough to reach 2ppm each day/evening, brush to mix it all in, untl the o ring is installed. The CYA will have to wait, unfortunately.

Thanks again I am off to pour & stir. I sure hope they get the filter fixed soon my blow up pool turned green with so much rain last year, which is how I found this site. I am new to the BBB method but this site sure helped with the green last year, my family thought I was nuts pouring & stirring, they kept telling me to drain it. I hate cold water so I was willing to try anything.
Thank you

ETA: I saw the swim comment, no chance this is REALLY cold water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny, FPM!
BTW, I'm in VA and I'm still at 62 degrees, I haven't put on my solar cover yet since I still have alot of cloudiness, I'm shocking every evening.
As far as your water turning green, don't worry about it, my water was literally nearly-black it was so green when I pulled off my mesh cover this year. Shocking is slowly but surely clearing it up. I would NOT use the solar cover until you get your filter going and make sure your chlorine is doing well...maybe that's just me, but solar covers can make the water cloudy, particularly if your water isn't all fine and dandy. :)

Thank you all for your help we are now up and running course now the rain is filling it a little too much. I have been putting in bleach and testing with my new test kit, I feel like a mad scientist. My husband laughs as I read the directions and test, my CYA is still very low but I just put it in so hopefully it will come up adjusted the ph today.

I will be reading and trying to learn, we have been so busy between rain storms trying to get the yard back together, I don't have the brain power right now to ask an intelligent question. Just wanted to thank you all and I read every new pool thread just to make sure we have everything covered.

Water is still very clear and cold.

I do have a ? Since it is so full and I just put the conditioner in (friday) wouldn't vacuuming to waste be the best way to lower the water level and keep it clean? Or should I just backwash it out?

How exactly did you put the conditioner in? If you added it to the skimmer, there will probably be some stuck in the filter so you don't want to lose that, which means vaccuum to waste would be best. If you dumped it straight into the pool, then some granules might still be lying on the bottom; in that case, you DO want to backwash, rather than vaccuum.
--paulr

Yikes I hope you used the sock method - you don't want the granuals dissolving on the liner....

If you added directly to the skimmer, you can use your vac hose to syphon some water. Let us know the method you added it and we'll tell you your next steps...

I tried to disolve it in a bucket and put in the skimmer, when it didn't disolve good I put it in a sock. I don't believe I put in enough. Since it is something I can't take out without draining I was very leary of adding too much. It took so long to fill I can't imagine having to drain it because I got it too high.

Spent last night putting clear tape over all my testing supply labels, I can only imagine how lost I would be if I couldn't read the labels because I got them all wet. Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.